Whole house fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to install a whole house fan in my second floor attic. We have alot of stagnant air.

My attic is a 4/12, low pitch with 4 plastic roof vents. The house is similar to a bi-level, 1777 sq ft with two attic spaces. One over the first floor, living room/kitchen area(storage space etc, plywood layed down to walk on) and the other over the second floor that can be accessed by a panel and ladder in upstairs bedroom closet.

It would be installed in the second floor attic, over stair case going up. Centrally located in the house.

Questions

#1 Do I have enough vents to support a whole house fan?

#2 I have 16 inches of blow in insulation in that space. I assume I would build a shroud around the unit to keep insulation in place? I don't want the "its snowing effect" in my attic.

Thoughts?

Below is a picture for those that are visual learners.

If you look at this link it looks like the fan wouldn't disturb the insulation in the attic.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20305509,00.html

Are your soffits opened and do you know if you have those soffit baffles installed to direct the heat from the soffit through the attic? That makes a difference as well in the amount of heat that builds up in the attic.

As previously mentioned, the ridge vent is the best cause it runs the length of the highest point of the roof. It's good to do when you are replacing your singles since you need to cut a 3/4 inch gap along the top and you need to close off the holes for the other vents which will require some replacing or modifying of the roof sheathing.

Last edited:
I don't have one...but my son does. My observation is that these things really do help with cooling

Good luck!

Yes build a shroud. What size fan and what cfm? You do not have soffit vents? You may want to add a couple more vents.

Most fans recommend an attic space larger then I have. I'll also need to add at least two roof vents. My roof is only 6 months old. I didn't go with a ridge vent because the ridge is short with this style of roof. I'm going to get some professional quotes, and see what my options are.

How does an exhaust fans appear to move so much more air than a 'blowing' fan?

I have an attic fan. The hall switch turns it, but I dont think the belt is there from the motor to the blades. It is boarded...closed off. I hear you can get some nice sleep with them. They just pull in alot of outside dust, I hear.

Seems like the fresh air would do one good.

My attic has slats under the overhangs on each side of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back