Whoa there !

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of drama on today's ride. I normally set out in the morning, but there was heavy fog and temps in the single digits C, I knew it would fine up to a clear day and temps in the mid teens, so went for my morning walk around the lake...and got tangled up in the half marathon. Obviously not a fun run, the faces of the runners were screwed up in horrible grimaces as if they were being tortured by some unseen demon. Whatever.

I just want to test a tyre before I put a new one on this week, the TW302 on there is old, and the wrong size, a 50/50 tyre, I'll be going to a 80/20....a test of traction on gravel roads. I cut across gravel roads to sealed back roads, on one road there are cattle on the road...3 young steers that get out of my way, and later a bull who gives me a I want to kill you look, but stays where he is. As I come back onto a sealed road and head towards more gravel, I see a horse running down the road ahead. Horses are really unpredictable, and I'm not looking forward to getting past him. I come around a corner and there he is ahead, his cover has come off and is tangled in his legs, and he's in a panic.

So I stop...and in perfect timing a horse truck coming the other way stops, a woman and a couple of girls get out and spread across the road hands up to stop the horse....about 100 metres between us. The horse stops, looking at them, and back at me, and then heads my way. He's trips up in his cover, goes down on the road, gets up and crashes a couple of more times....going back to the truck, and then back to me. I get off the bike and stand in the road to stop him. I'm thinking...is this really what you want to do, stop a horse in a panic with your bare hands ? I leave my helmet on, I might need it. He comes up to me, as I block him as he tries to go either side....he's gashed up, blood over his eyes and shoulders where he's hit the ground, sweating, [censored] himself in fear. He comes right up to me, sniffing me, and I stroke his chin, muttering sweet nothings, and I try to get his cover out of his legs...as I free one foot, he puts the next one on it. The woman has now come up behind him with a lead, which she manages to put on him, she gets him calmed down, and gets the cover off him, and then one of the girls walks away with him. It's not their horse, but now some locals are walking down the road, having seen the drama playing out.

I hope the talk later isn't about the noisy motorcycle chasing a horse down the road. No one talked to me, offered thanks for my part...I just got on my bike and carried on.

Originally Posted by Silk
A bit of drama on today's ride. I normally set out in the morning, but there was heavy fog and temps in the single digits C, I knew it would fine up to a clear day and temps in the mid teens, so went for my morning walk around the lake...and got tangled up in the half marathon. Obviously not a fun run, the faces of the runners were screwed up in horrible grimaces as if they were being tortured by some unseen demon. Whatever.

I take it you're not a runner? I heard that from people before. It's kinda hard to enjoy it while you're at 80-90% of max heart rate, maybe closer to 100% if you're doing a sprint at the end. It's more fun after you stop.

No, not a runner, I'm a walker. After the runners came the walkers - they were talking, laughing, smiling, obviously enjoying their outing. In contrast to those obviously not enjoying themselves, but able to say ''I did it !'' at the end. As I said - whatever. Whatever you are into.

I'm not a horse person at all, good on you for helping the poor thing. And definitely not a "fun run" person either - but I'd have been sprinting from the frightened horse!

thumbsup2.gif
For stopping to help. Poor beastie.

No, not a runner, I'm a walker. After the runners came the walkers - they were talking, laughing, smiling, obviously enjoying their outing. In contrast to those obviously not enjoying themselves, but able to say ''I did it !'' at the end. As I said - whatever. Whatever you are into.

You'd probably have to be a runner in order to understand that they're probably enjoying themselves, it's just not easy to express it when you're running at that speed. The faster I go, the more enjoyable it is, but conversely, the more difficult it is and I suppose if you think about it, it probably doesn't show at all. Some runners actually throw up after a race, but that probably means they ran too hard or were out of shape. If it's a good run, I'm at the point where I feel like throwing up, but don't actually throw up. Same as a good workout.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

You'd probably have to be a runner in order to understand that they're probably enjoying themselves, it's just not easy to express it when you're running at that speed. The faster I go, the more enjoyable it is, but conversely, the more difficult it is and I suppose if you think about it, it probably doesn't show at all. Some runners actually throw up after a race, but that probably means they ran too hard or were out of shape. If it's a good run, I'm at the point where I feel like throwing up, but don't actually throw up. Same as a good workout.

Yep, I cycle a fair bit and really enjoy settling in the aero bars and ripping down the trail or road at what is or near my max speed for as long as my stamina or the environment allows - and I'm pretty sure there's a look of desperation on my face too when I'm doing it. But I love the feeling of exhilaration that speed gives me, I love being in tune with the bike and pedal stroke and tuning everything out in my mind but those things. And I'm sure runners experience the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back