Who makes the best chain saw chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new Echo chainsaw. It came with an Oregon chain. That chain lasted about 30 minutes then went up in smoke.

It is oiling the chain, just for some reason it suddenly went dull and was smoking more from the chain than from the exhaust.

If you were cutting really hard wood for 30 mins straight then that is not unexpected, especially if it hit any dirt. I always used Stihl saws and the Stihl chains were always the best.

If this is a small saw (14 inches) then expect it to go thru chains rather quickly. If you are good with a file then sharpen it yourself, if not then talk to a local landscaper and find out who is really good at sharpening as the quality can vary greatly due to skill of the guy using the grinder.

It's a 16 inch saw. I had an 18 inch homelite but it didn't run long enough to wear out a chain
LOL.gif

I bought this Echo after reading lots of good reviews about them.

I wouldn't call it hard wood. Dead Elm trees. Are those hard wood?

I've generally used Oregons. I also keep a set of files with me to sharpen the chain during cutting. it sure would be nice if they could invent an auto sharpener on a saw! also, as mentioned earlier, its very important to keep the saw outa the dirt.

I've worked for the Forest Service and now work for the Corps of Engineers. Anytime anyone's ordered a chainsaw, Stihl has always been the pick.

Learn to sharpen your chain, and buy multiple loops and sharpen at home if touching up frequently in the field doesn't appeal.

Some of the stuff we cut here needs a touch up every few cuts when crosscutting (bucking) reasonable sized logs.
It depends on the silica content of the wood, how dirty the bark is (whether a skidder or dozer has dragged it) the type of timber, whether termites have gone up the guts and made a mud chimney, etc.
Hit dirt and you cutters need a touch up with a file, hit a rock and it's a visit to a grinder.

As soon as you start to feel the cut speed slow down it's time for a touch up, don't keep pushing through, all you'll do is burn up the chain and bar, or throw another chain on and sharpen them all at home.

As for chain, Stihl, Oregon, Carlton, Windsor are all good.
I keep reading on all the US boards that Stihl is 'best', yet most Aussies I know prefer Carlton or Windsor in our tough as nails timber.
A mate on another board did some hardness testing of the drive links and cutters of Stihl, Oregon and Carlton semi-chisel 3/8 chain and the Oregon and Carlton were line ball within the test parameters (within 2% of each other, Oregon slightly out pointing Stihl), with the Carlton sample about 3% harder.
Being a scientist he also timed the cuts when slabbing the same log with his Carlton and Stihl chains. Initially the cut speeds are the same, yet when getting towards the end of the cuts, the Carlton finished first.
He repeated this a number of times.
I can dig the links up to the other forum if anyone wants to read it all.

If you are fairly experienced at cutting, stay away from most all 'safety' or 'reduced kick back' chain as it is generally a fair bit slower than the 'pro' spec chain, although I'll concede there's a reason and a place for it's use.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I got a new Echo chainsaw. It came with an Oregon chain. That chain lasted about 30 minutes then went up in smoke.

It is oiling the chain, just for some reason it suddenly went dull and was smoking more from the chain than from the exhaust.

I wish I knew. I was forced to buy one in haste and bought a stilh ms 250. So far, its been pretty good but I did not have time to do good research. I know a lot of people who swear by them but I would have to at least liked to check a shindiawa.

Im stuck with it now and just made the best decision as I could have at the time given I had no time to look around. Mine will throw the chain every now and then but I run the [censored] out of it.

Just watch the discovery channel. They have like 5 logging shows going right now..and another logging show coming in the next weeks. I record and watch a few of them. The companies that do alot of manual cutting and bucking seem to use husqvarna saws and oregon chains. These guys do it for a living 12 hours a day.. maybe they are paid by advertisers to use this equipment..I dont know.

Dunno. I've never seen two loggers with the same chainsaw. Husqvarna does advert on Discovery a lot... Out on the fire line, though, I'll tell you you'll see pretty much nothing but Stihls.

By the way, not that I don't enjoy those logging shows, but those swamp logger guys would have been kicked off of any property I've ever dealt with pretty quick. Private landowners give those guys a lot of free range they'd never get working on federal lands.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Stihl or Husqvarna. Living in the 'burbs of Chicago, my 16" Craftsman works fine, and I use 30 weight SH grade motor oil for my chain.
I agree. If you plan on doing some heavy duty work, or frequent work with chain saws Id go Stihl or Husqvarna. I live in the Cleveland burbs, my 40cc,18in Craftsman serves me well!

As far as chain , I really like Stihl chain .
If You are cutting in clean wood the RS full chisel is tops . If You are cutting in dirty wood ,the RM semi chisel holds up a bit better .

Extreme Loggers is coming out in the next weeks..supposed to be like Deadliest Catch but with logging.. My favorite is American Loggers..the guys that are in the river, the father and son team that fight more than the Teutels.

I may be wrong but doesnt Husqvarna make Craftsman equipment? I know they make the riders and some string trimmers..dont know about saws.

Craftsman chainsaws are made by Poulan, they are a lower end saw, but fine for homeowner use.
Craftsman mowers are made by AYP, which also makes the Husqvarna branded mowers. You'd be hard pressed to find a worse built mower.

Any way, it´s not the chain mfg thats the problem- he
needs to learn how to sharpen his chains...
I always do a quickie every two fuel fillups
and thats when im working on clean timber.

I'm assuming it's a .325 chain, If not then 3/8 likely. Stihl RSC chain will likely last the longest, I run an Oregon 95Vp and the Super 20 for my .325 bar, both are excellent but the VP is less twitchy.

Keep it sharp, dirt on the bark will dull it in no time flat. The Micro lite 95VP combo woke my little 340 right up...night and day difference over stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back