Who makes the best 1/2 ton pickup truck???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for a ride in a new F150 today and I felt it was sprung pretty rough for a 4x4 car. I much prefer the ride of a mid'80s 1/2 ton Chevy with a couple hundred thousand km on it.
smile.gif
From a quick check it seems that you get 4x4, flip-up back seats and suicide doors, a v8, a couple cigarette lighters, and a CD player with a new F150. Oh yeah, and a box behind you. That's no different than anything that's been made since the stone age so there's no reason to upgrade to one unless you are into "status symbols".
freak2.gif
I've driven in a lot of North American pick-up trucks and it is annoying to see how car-like the interiors and exteriors are getting. Those extras cost a lot more money than what you could do with aftermarket add-ons.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
Shannow: A half-ton up here is the smallest of the full sized pick-up trucks that can carry a 4x8 piece of plywood flat in the back (150 Ford, 1500 Chevy, 1500 Dodge?). They definately take more than 1/2 of a ton but that's what they are called. A 5 ton truck is good for way more than 5 ton too. 3/4 tons are work trucks and are more likely to have single beam front axles. 1 tons will have dual rear wheels.

Steve

no truck under a 5/4 ton(read F-450, C4500) has a single beam front axle. 4wd fords and dodges have solid live axles, which aren't single beam axles. A class 8 truck has a single beam axle. The 4X2 dodges use a independant setup similar to GM's. Fords use a version of their tried and true twin I beam suspension. you can get either singles or duals on all 350/3500's, which wasn't always the case.

-Bret

20 grand for a brand new Chevy Silverado long bed 4x4 with the small V8 and auto tranny.

I believe it is a lotta' vehicle for the money.

And, I have little faith in the economy, especially at the personal level. I have seen my jobs sent overseas. A few years back I saw my wages stagnate then decline as the illegals flocked into California by the millions.

I wanted the long bed so if the worst happened I could put a camper shell or camper on the truck and live in it. Had to do that in California despite working full-time. Couldn't see spending 4/5th of my income on rent. Chipped in on a family's apartment, $200 per month, allowing use of the shower, the phone for job searches, etc. Not enuff room to sleep there and that would have intruded on their privacy so...... heigh ho, off to bed we go..... inside the camper shell on a '78 Toyota pick-em-up. With my current 8' long bed if I have to live in it the extra room will feel like a penthouse in comparison!!!!!

Happy with the Chevy so far. I know that wherever I go, even the most rural areas, parts and service are readily available. THose living in the major metro areas don't have to consider parts/service availability. However, there's still sections of our growing-ever-more-crowded country where having a Ford or Chevy makes sense.

Will work for money (dinero, hombres).

I agree with Oldswagon.
I have few things I dont like about it.
I have a Tundra and the seating position hurts.
And trying to find aftermarket add ons dont fit because of the smaller dimensions of the truck.
The Double Cab fixes the bed dimensions.
And most v6s have as much HP as my v8.
Other than that its a good truck.
RichR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back