Who is Honda's oil supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: adibigs
Now you know that oil is depended on another country for its resource. Japan need the U.S for oil supply

Japan has always been dependent on others for oil. That is one the main reasons for WWII attack on Pearl Harbor.

They were bombing the coconut oil in the palm trees? Or the suntan oil in the gift shops? Which was it?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The PP 5W-30 does meet the Acura spec.

Johnny, do you mean the Acura turbo(HT0-06) spec ? If so can you reconfirm that ? The PP website is not working right now but I am pretty sure I remember seeing PP 5w30 meet that spec in the data sheet.
Not sure about the Honda RWC spec though, which I have never seen listed by any oil manufacturer except Mobil.

There are many things I might consider buying at car dealers such as air and oil filters, transmission and power steering fluids ... but oil is not one of them. Why pay high price at dealers while you can get better oil for less money somewhere else ?

The maintenance reminder in Honda's measure the oil viscosity, based on driving habits and conditions- that will all vary. Therefor if Honda is using exxon/mobil 7500... driving economically this oil can maintain viscosity levels to 10,000k

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Honda doesn't recommend any set OCI these days, Maintenance Minder. I've certainly never heard them reco a 10k fixed oci. Either way, how is it possible on any conventional oil?

Fwiw, for my 98 Prelude Honda recommended a 7.5k oci and replace the filter only every other oil change. And that was with SJ.
shocked2.gif

The vehicle this thread is in question to though is an 05 TL.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I just want to know what the deal is with their $3qt/qt bottled 5w20 that they use in intervals up to 10k. Even if it's M1 5000 and not Superflo, that'd be really pushing it no? I'd really have a tough time believing that they're selling M1 7500 at that price.

Honda recommends 10k OCI, for may cars and SUV's, is with any conventional SM 5W20 oil not with Honda oil only. S2000 has shorter OCI around 7k or 1 year for non-severe conditions and cut to half for severe conditions.

Whenever I saw the oil information under the hood of a Honda, it would say change oil at 3750 miles if the car is driven in short trips, dusty air, or at sustained high speed.

7500 if conditions are ideal.

I even saw that under the hoods of Hondas built in 1988.

Now if I could just see some oil analysis from the 1980s and 1990s of someone going 7500 miles on the dino oil of the era.

I just bought a case of Honda 5w20 yesterday from the dealer. I wasent going to but the parts guy told me he'd sell it to me for $2.74 a quart plus I get 10% back from everything I buy at the dealer. You guys think thats a good deal? I have been useing pennz yb bought at my autoparts store for $3.49 a quart. Overpriced I know but I refuse to shop at walmart.

I think I'm just going to buy everything at the dealer from now on. They are very nice and know a lot about the Hondas. They also give me a free car wash everytime I come in!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland
I just bought a case of Honda 5w20 yesterday from the dealer. I wasent going to but the parts guy told me he'd sell it to me for $2.74 a quart plus I get 10% back from everything I buy at the dealer. You guys think thats a good deal? I have been useing pennz yb bought at my autoparts store for $3.49 a quart. Overpriced I know but I refuse to shop at walmart.

I think I'm just going to buy everything at the dealer from now on. They are very nice and know a lot about the Hondas. They also give me a free car wash everytime I come in!

Sounds like you are getting a free lube job also.

It's good to know that not everyone shops at Walmart. That will keep them on their toes and get them to lower prices even more to try to get your business. Hahahahhahaha.

You might try Target (if that is OK with you). Last time I was there they had good prices on M1 in 5 quart jugs (don't recall what other oils were selling for). They don't have a big selection though.

Honda bottled oil is not Mobil 7500. I've only ever seen analysis that showed it as being basically the same as the SuperFlo. That's one rung below Clean5000 on the Mobil ladder.

The only difference is the FF, which is very different from the bottled oil at the dealers.

And as always, what the dealer has in their bulk tanks for oil changes is up to them, not Honda.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Honda bottled oil is not Mobil 7500. I've only ever seen analysis that showed it as being basically the same as the SuperFlo. That's one rung below Clean5000 on the Mobil ladder....

Funny, but a Honda technician told me it was Exxon SuperFlo as well. The bulk dino at my dealership is Quaker State, though.

Originally Posted By: adibigs
The maintenance reminder in Honda's measure the oil viscosity, based on driving habits and conditions....

Sorry, but no.

"I've certainly never heard them reco a 10k fixed oci."

I know for sure that a 2003 model year Honda Accord with 4 cylinder owner's manual calls for 10k mile OCI if you have the 4 cylinder engine and normal (not severe) use. V-6 is 7,500 miles for the same vehicle.

At some point Honda switched to a maintenance minder system, which system does not "measure oil viscosity" like someone said above. It uses an algorithm which takes in account engine revolutions, temperatures and the like the estimate when an SM grade oil is no longer safe to use.

Most dealers I've seen don't use the Honda branded motor oil for their routine changes. They use whichever brand the dealer has decided to buy from.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
"I've certainly never heard them reco a 10k fixed oci."

I know for sure that a 2003 model year Honda Accord with 4 cylinder owner's manual calls for 10k mile OCI if you have the 4 cylinder engine and normal (not severe) use. V-6 is 7,500 miles for the same vehicle.

At some point Honda switched to a maintenance minder system, which system does not "measure oil viscosity" like someone said above. It uses an algorithm which takes in account engine revolutions, temperatures and the like the estimate when an SM grade oil is no longer safe to use.

Most dealers I've seen don't use the Honda branded motor oil for their routine changes. They use whichever brand the dealer has decided to buy from.

I could be wrong but I am almost certain that my wifes 2005 Element recommends a fixed 10,000/1 year OCI on SM rated oil.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm sure it can vary by country or region.

You are correct, sir. As others have noted, here in the U.S., Exxon-Mobil manufacturers and bottles "Honda Motor Oil". U.S. dealers, however, can, and often do, contract with other companies to supply motor oil and other petroleum supplies in bulk. In England and most of Europe, "Honda Motor Oil" is supplied by Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back