Who is a Dirt Track regular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live about a mile from Senoia Raceway in Georgia. I was a huge Nascar fan in the 90's and early 2000's.

Like many like me, I don't know all the reasons I have stopped watching Nascar, but I have. I am a dirt track junkie now....kinda fell into it....one of those things that you can't explain, just a series of events landed me at it.

I had been to some dirt races in the early 2000's as I used to live about 10 miles from a track in north Alabama. I'd watch the trucks and trailers go my house on Saturday afternoon. I wasn't much interested in dirt back then because I was strung out on Nascar. If I had only known....

I went to a race at Dixie Speedway in the late 2000's, as we lived about 45 minutes from that track.

Since there are 4 late model classes and then you have all the other "hobby, bomber, mini-stock, etc." classes, it can take a while to learn on your own what is what and such. I think that was one thing that kept me from staying with it back then, I really didn't have anyone to explain it all to me, didn't know you could pay a few more dollars and go in the pits nor just walk up to the drivers/teams and ask questions. I didn't really "go with" anyone except my wife, we'd show up, find a place to sit and watch.

Now we have been to some tracks here and there, went to the World 100 at Eldora last September and will be going back. I have come to know several of the top-ranked drivers on the World of Outlaws and Lucas Oil circuits, as well as many of the drivers in this area that run regional series and at Senoia regularly.

I go when I can. Santa Maria and Ventura Raceways are the 2 closest. I go to the Turkey Night Grand Prix for sure, and then other weekends when I can make it. I keep meaning to make it out to WoO or ASCOC race. A really good friend of mine has a pretty quick non wing 360 that he keeps debating bring back out to race.

Dirt Vision is nice to catch up on races.

Been a dirt track junkie since I was a kid, got into professional level kart racing in my teens and still love it! I'm a NASCAR fan as well but a Saturday night at a dirt track with listening to a 410 sprint turning 8000rpm is like nothing else!

Here in Ocala, I'm 15 mins from Bubba Raceway Park where Smoke and several other big name sprint car drivers show up throughout the year!

I got the bug in the 80's and then kind of drifted away. Moved to St. Louis area in the mid 90's and got interested again through the activity and tracks that Rusty Wallace and his family were involved in closeby. Don't know why I don't go more these days - it's really outstanding racing and fun! Thanks for giving me the spur.

Larry

Yep, the racing at Senoia is some of the best I've ever seen....and many of the national circuit drivers who have been there say the same thing. In 2016, they put down a "gumbo" clay that was taken out of a mine in south GA. They put another layer on over the winter of 2016/2017 and it is great. It can be very fast when wet early in the night but when it has dried out and has been packed in through the hot laps and features, it can be slick as ice. It provide for a lot of side-by-side racing.

Originally Posted By: azjake
Arizona Speedway about 25 minutes from my home. USAC and ASCS sprint cars.

Didn't know there was a dirt track in the east valley. We spend some weekends at Lake Pleasant in the winter months and can hear the V8s light up at Canyon Speedway. I'd go but the boss isn't interested...

We have alot of dirt and asphalt track in WI. I go to many. Just watched a traveling 410 sprint show Sunday night.

I raced for 10 years on asphalt. Got wife and kids now, and go camping.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: azjake
Arizona Speedway about 25 minutes from my home. USAC and ASCS sprint cars.

Didn't know there was a dirt track in the east valley. We spend some weekends at Lake Pleasant in the winter months and can hear the V8s light up at Canyon Speedway. I'd go but the boss isn't interested...

Take the US 60 (Superstition Fwy) to Ironwood road and go south 5 miles. I believe it's been open since 2011. Jonah the owner/promoter built it after Manzanita closed. High banked fast 3/8 mile track. I've been to Canyon once, but it's literally about 90 miles from where I live in East Mesa. They have some very good shows including World of Outlaws, and the Western World in November with the USAC sprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back