Who here is in sales? I need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season and staying (somewhat) warm. As some of you know, I am a salesman at one of the 4 major cell phone carriers (won't mention who to prevent commenting). Anyhow, before this job, I had worked at Best Buy in the same position for about a year, and have about 10 months under my belt at my current job. While I did enjoy phone sales at Best Buy, it was less of a sales job, and more of a normal retail job (no real goals, no punishment for low sales, etc) At my current job, however, we do have real goals, and we do have very specific numbers to hit. Since my start there, I seem to have gotten stuck in the 'typical' sales pitches that everyone in this business seems to use, and it seems like I've gotten a little content with where I'm at with sales. Basically, you're making decent money and you're not at risk of loosing your job, so why change? Lately I've noticed that the mentality of our store seems to be changing. No one seems to have any motivation, sales people sell whatever the customers asks for and nothing else, etc. Part of this has to do with management, as there is no discipline whatsoever for low numbers or not caring, which obviously isn't helping our overall numbers. I'm trying to keep myself from slipping into this fashion, and most of the time, I don't let myself. However, I know that my earning potential (as far as commission is concerned), is basically unlimited, and I Know for a fact that I'm not doing near as much as I could to close bigger sales. So, I'm asking people who've been doing this a long time, what's worked for you? And no, I'm not just looking for direct answers to solve all of our problems. What books have you read? What classes did you take? What do you do to motivate yourself for work (outside of the money aspect)? Also, for those of you who work directly with a team, what do you do to motivate your team? As mentioned before, upper management doesn't seem to even care to motivate most of the time, so I want to take some initiative and help not only myself, but my whole team. Thank you in advance for your comments!!!

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
sales people sell whatever the customers asks for and nothing else, etc.

Umm, is it unusual to sell to people what they ask for? I don't understand the idea that you're not doing your job if you satisfy the customers desire. What did I miss here?

Originally Posted By: FowVay

Umm, is it unusual to sell to people what they ask for? I don't understand the idea that you're not doing your job if you satisfy the customers desire. What did I miss here?

You're missing the upsell. The classic do you want fries with that? And because it's commission based, the more you sell, the more you make.

Originally Posted By: FowVay

His title says he want's replies from people in sales. You sound like you're thinking of this from a customer service point of view. That's only appropriate on a long-term perspective, which sales people aren't generally motivated to have.

I used to work as an engineer for a US company...Lets call them MoneyWell....in which it was the declared policy that The Salesman is King.

This was a stupid policy. The salesman is a tool.

Of course the salesmen frequently were tools, but what I mean here is that they should have been regarded as tools in support of customer requirements.

In practice, salesmen on commission would sometimes sell technically impractical solutions which cost us customers, and the engineers caught most of the flak when they did so.

I'd better declare a bias though. I was based most of the time on one main client's site, and, for Y2K, sold them over a million quids worth of new network, plus implementation costs.

The salesperson (never involved until signing) got a cottage in the South of France. I got a bottle of wine, from the South of France.

I've pretty much been in sales my entire working life. Every time I look at a job, I'm selling. I took a Sandler Sales seminar many years ago, it was interesting and entertaining. It is the class you'd find your typical used car salesman in. We didn't know that when we signed up. Most of the techniques they taught I'd never use but it was as I said very interesting and entertaining. When I was selling cars a few of my sales managers wanted me to teach the guys how I sold cars. I passed, it wasn't my job, and they weren't going to pay me anything more for doing it. I did close deals for them if we were jammed up, and was compensated for that.

As far as motivation, money is the biggest motivator of all. The more you make the better it will be. That in and of itself will make you want to learn and improve your selling techniques if you're paid commission.

Get the book "Go for no" google for it and you will find it. It is set up a little strange as it is written as a story vs a self help book but it does get a good sales concept accross to you. Once you learn concept and apply it please let us/me know how it helped you.

1) Ask for the sale. You're probably doing this already, but not asking for the sale is the #1 sales mistake.
2) Try to sell what your customers actually need. This one also sounds like a no-brainer, but, ya know...
3) Client cards. I've never seen this is in cell phone sales, which is all the more reason to start doing it and maybe attract some attention from management. When you can't quite meet a customer's requirements, tell them about the LG V12000 that's coming out next month and have them right down their contact info.
4) Ignore advice from anyone who's never sold anything
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: vintageant
+1 for "Go for no"

Before suggesting more, what are the top 5 sales books you have read?

+1. In reading sales books.

Get yourself a copy of "The Sales Bible" by Jeffrey Gitomer. Check out his sales caffeine news letter. www.gitomer.com

Last edited:
This is the part where I would ask if you are really happy slinging cell phones for someone else, rather than being disappointed in your colleagues.

In my experience, when a salesperson begins feeling let down by their environment, it is usually dissatisfaction of their operation as a whole.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This is the part where I would ask if you are really happy slinging cell phones for someone else, rather than being disappointed in your colleagues.

In my experience, when a salesperson begins feeling let down by their environment, it is usually dissatisfaction of their operation as a whole.

I agree with you on job dissatisfaction. I'm surprised management doesn't enforce the sales goal / metrics for the sales team at his job. Metrics quickly weed out the under performing slackers.

I know lots of people in sales and they all have have $__ goals to meet. One guy has $3.5M target and does over $5M.

Disclaimer: I'm not in sales but most of my family is. I've picked their brains more than a few times just trying to understand why they do what they do and how they are successful.

The one piece of advice I have always heard is that you listen first, satisfy the customer's need, and then upsell. If you go for the big ticket item right away the customer will not think you have their best interest in mind. One book I had my Dad read was "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" even though it is aimed at management types it lays out some interested tactics to get people to do what you want. He found that by applying the lessons in the book to his sales life he was able to close a few tougher sales. I wouldn't recommend it for a sales rookie as you need some experience to draw on and make connections but it gives a different twist on the typical sales books.

You're asking how to stay motivated, not how to sell correct? Honestly can't answer that if you're comfortable with the money you're making. Maybe have X amount or percentage taken out of your pay and put into a 401K or whatever and make the amount enough that it hurts. You'll be motivated to sell more.

About selling anyway since you didn't ask:

First, unless you're in a leadership position on your team forget about motivating your equals. Not your job. Work on being the best in the store.

Second, slightly different take from the previous poster, if you work to convince the customer a particular lower cost phone is perfect you'll never upsell to the next model or price level. This is why at many retailers the salesman will start one model or pricepoint over what you asked about. Then of course are the add-on sales.

Good luck, at least you care enough to ask.

Set some short term achievable goals...weekly, monthly. After you achieve them - stretch yourself a little. Have a plan to invest the extra money you earn and contribute to a Roth IRA or a regular IRA if you need the tax deduction. Invest all your money in an ETF that covers the market like VOO - or split half VOO & half VIG (hi dividend ETF). When you see your invested money grow, it will give you further motivation. Extra money for a new car downpayment is also motivation - how bad do you want it? Sales is a great job because no one limits how much you make but you. Avoid talking to people that complain and want to bring you down to their level. Be polite to them, but walk away and do something constructive. Have a constant "to do" list and try to knock a couple of things off it every day - prioritize. There is a difference between "doing things right" and 'doing the right thing" - the latter will make you much more successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back