Who had no problems with dino 5wXX in the cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minus 25 degrees celcius (windchill -37) this morning here in Southwestern Ontario. 2013 Nissan Juke 1.6L turbo, no block heater, dealer-installed bulk 5W30 conventional oil. Car fired right up, but made a [censored] of a whine I've never heard before. My guess is that it was the turbo charger starving for oil. Only lasted a second or so and then went away.

This car is leased and dealer serviced, so I could really give a rats-[censored] what kind of oil they put in it. If it were mine, I'd be running synthetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
VWB 5w20 fired up easily when we got our -37 windchill last week. No complaints.

Running a mix of 10w30 with some 5w20 in it.
Down to the teens around here in the morning.

Top end ticking a bit in the mornings for the first minute or so, power steering fluid is very cranky, but I drive a 2002 Ford Taurus and they are temperamental.

-22C this AM with PU Euro 5w-40 in the M5 and it started up as quiet as a church mouse. It rolled over quicker than the Expedition actually, but then it also has a battery that is only a few months old.

No problem with Havoline 5W-20 in my Elantra, the Havoline 5W-30 in our Subaru, and the Valvoline 5W-30 Next Gen that has been in the pickup for almost a year.

All three started in the coldest weather without an issue, albeit a tad slow.

Non living objects aren't affected by "wind chill" unless they are covered with moisture to kick in "evaporative cooling".
grin.gif

Yeah, if it was that cold here I'd certainly be running full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Minus 25 degrees celcius (windchill -37) this morning here in Southwestern Ontario. 2013 Nissan Juke 1.6L turbo, no block heater, dealer-installed bulk 5W30 conventional oil. Car fired right up, but made a [censored] of a whine I've never heard before. My guess is that it was the turbo charger starving for oil. Only lasted a second or so and then went away.

This car is leased and dealer serviced, so I could really give a rats-a$$ what kind of oil they put in it. If it were mine, I'd be running synthetic.

I'm 50 km east of Toronto and I'm running Mobil 1 5W-30. I have a 98 Sienna. She makes a bit of a noise in the morning for about 30 seconds. I think it's the power steering pump.

Regards, JC.

-25C, truck left outside for a few days, not plugged in, 7+ year old battery (yikes... I am more worried about that), survived the start. As you can see in the sig... 10w30. Not ideal and not what I would like to have in the crankcase... it just worked out that way with the low mileage I put on this summer. I am pretty sure the truck will fall apart long before the motor does regardless.

I've got 5w-20 in my charger. No funny noises lately but I've been plugging it in.
At -30 in 6 hours my car will not turn fast enough to start and just kills the battery.
My 99 chev with a 5.3 had 5w-30 in it and would start in -40 without being plugged in. Best vehicle I ever had for cold starting.

Toyota camry w 1mz-Fe motor. 154k. Parked outside. No problems using 5w-20 from Toyota

Ha! My "cold" is insignificant compared to you all. It was 1F this morning and Mom's VUE started effortlessly on QSAD 5w30.

The CVT fluid, on the other hand, must have been pretty thick because the car lurched when started. It says in the owner's manual that when temps approach freezing, you must let it sit and idle for a bit to circulate and warm up the CVT fluid.

I'd hate to know what it would do deep in the negatives!

-21F -40 wind chill 3 cars all with 5w30 or 5w20 . All fired right up. 0w oil will not help if the battery or ignition system is weak or failing.
2 batteries are 1 year old . one is from 2008.

it was -3 this morning, the neon cranked a little slow, then there was about a 3 second horrid sound, off hand I'd say a pulley bearing(that side of the motor anyway), but after that, ran just fine. MS5K 5w20

1 degree & the 5-30 in the 05 Accord (7 yo battery) turned over very slowly, but it started.
The 04 5.3 shrugged it off, and didn't even notice with 5-30 NAPA syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back