Who Changes Their Oil Cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it just depends on how fast you want the oil change done. you could do it cold, but the oil will drip drip forever.

If my cars had vertical drain plugs I suppose it wouldn't make much difference to get a good drain. However since the drain plug is in the back of the pan it relies on the weight and gravity to drain. The heat I'm sure helps it to roll out so to speak.

I always drain hot for the idea of getting the pan empty. Not so much the other parts of the engine.

I usually do it warm, a few minutes after a drive. I usually let it drain until the dripping pretty much stops (about 20 mins or so). Then, I put the plug back in, and change the filter. By this point, the exhaust has cooled so I don't burn myself too badly changing the filter. The stupid thing sits above the starter (gets oil on it every time, but hey, it won't rust). You have to reach up above one of the upper control arms next to 1 side of the Y-pipe.

The burn issue comes in when you actually loosen the filter, because it sits at a 45* angle (baseplate upwards), and you're reaching straight up under it, so you almost always get hot oil dumping down your arm when you pull the thing off. The one on Mom's Jeep with a 4.0 is so much easier. It's sideways to the block, so it's messy, but you can reach it from the top, so you don't get dripped on.

I was always taught to change it hot, as stuff will be held in suspension better, and you're less likely to end up with crud settling in the pan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Most people who change their oil, hot or cold, allow it to drain for a short period of time. 5 minute? 10 minutes tops. In that short time period, a hot drain will remove more used oil and possibly contaminants.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Changing_Oil_Cold_Engine.aspx

Not sure if I agree with you on "hot drain will remove more used oil" [vs cold oil]. More used cold oil will be in pan when a car has been sitting over night.

I think whats happening is you see hot oil flowing out faster and its giving you the perception that you are getting more oil out. When in fact you just drove your car and your engine has been thoroughly coated with oil like it should. And will take time for all that oil to make it back into the pan.

Make sure the engine is at Normal operating temp! That is the only thing that is "Warm!"
thumbsup2.gif

If your engine is 100 degrees, your Oil is below the 180 or 200 or 240 or so (whatever it is)it is normally at.

People find it silly, but i usually let the Oil circulate 30 seconds to 1 minute in Hot summer before driving off, even if it was 120 outside. Unless the engine was fully warmed, already. But first start? .. Yeah, let it pump a wee bit.

It's funny, people think you need to leave that "cold oil" overnight to drain.

The same people manage to pour 5 quarts of the exact same temperature oil into the crankcase in less than 5 minutes.

I guess gravity works better four feet off the ground than two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If you park the car, and let it drain you can change it cold the next day or whenever. It best not to start it to move it as the dirty oil will then circulate and not drain back in a timely way. If its been sitting and all the oil has drained into the pan, your ready to go and it does not need to be hot. It's not like we're draining toxic waste here...

This is my belief. I've changed it warm before, but I also change it cold a lot of the time.

At oil change time I drive my truck at least 20 minutes, when I get back home I put it up on jack stands if I am rotating my tires, or put it on Rhino Ramps if I am not rotating the tires.

The way I learned it is warm oil flows out the drain better. So after I get it raised in the air on jack stands or ramps, I let the truck cool for 30 minutes or so, then I drain the oil and remove the filter. 30 minutes is enough time that the engine and exhaust are cool enough that I won't get burned but the oil is still warm enough to flow out of the drain. I let it drain for a good 20 or 30 minutes, while I rotate the tires or check out the steering suspension, etc while I am under the truck. There are always other things to do while the truck cools off and while oil drains out...

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
At oil change time I drive my truck at least 20 minutes, when I get back home I put it up on jack stands if I am rotating my tires, or put it on Rhino Ramps if I am not rotating the tires.

The way I learned it is warm oil flows out the drain better. So after I get it raised in the air on jack stands or ramps, I let the truck cool for 30 minutes or so, then I drain the oil and remove the filter. 30 minutes is enough time that the engine and exhaust are cool enough that I won't get burned but the oil is still warm enough to flow out of the drain. I let it drain for a good 20 or 30 minutes, while I rotate the tires or check out the steering suspension, etc while I am under the truck. There are always other things to do while the truck cools off and while oil drains out...

Pretty much what Jimmy does. After starting the drain there's always other things to take care off while waiting, unwasted time. Works for me.

I change mine about half an hour after driving it, when the oil is still warm, but the engine isnn' so much. Since I have to reach past the exhaust, between the hot transmission, and the hot engine block, to grab ahold of a hot oil filter, with all kinds of other hot stuff centimeters from my hand...... I'd rather not do it at operating temperature.

Bigdreama, thats why I change mine cold :)

Not sure if it is better or worse, but that's what I do.

I do the same as NickR, let it sit a little while. I've done it, but don't like changing oil after its been driving for 20 or more minutes.

I've done it cold too, I'm not worried about it.

On my truck the aluminum oil pan and oil filter are so hot after 30 min of sitting they can't be touched by unprotected hands.

How you guys see a noticable difference between operating temp and waiting 30 min is beyond me.

I probably have one of the worst cars as far as changing oil at temp. goes. My 2.5L Mystique has the exhaust wrapped around the filter jutting out of the front. Cold--things are a cinch; but I find that if I drain it for about a half-an-hour or 45 minutes, even after I've been driving it and let it sit up, I can actually touch the pipes without burning myself...

I'm not too concerned about the temp of the oil pan. It's the engine block and exhaust I'm worried about, and after 20-30 minutes the exhaust is cool, and the block/transmission is cool-enough that I don't burn myself on them instantly. Not to say it's not still unpleasantly warm, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back