Who believes they're getting worse fuel economy after switching to GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
Are you sure it's the oil??? Have they changed your fuel composition? I know my Suburban gets around 16.5 mpg around New England, but when I head south and fill in Virginia that didn't have the MTBE I got over 18 mpg. Not sure the oil would make that big a difference.

I don't think it's all because of the oil, but as far as I know we're running the same fuel in this area as we did at this time last year.

I did start using Fuel Power a couple of months ago but I really doubt that it has decreased my mileage...

quote:

Originally posted by zoomzoom:
jsharp it is probably the tires. They might be same size and at the same pressure but their rolling resistance can be quite different.

As far as my experience with GC I got better milage with it then with M1 0W-20. This is even more significant since GC was in whole winter while M1 was in during the spring!

GC 0W-30 26.0 mpg
M1 0W-20 25.8 mpg

I know the tires are a factor, I just don't know how much. I get noticably worse mileage with my winter tires which are larger and have a more aggressive pattern...

Don't discount the tires yet....

They may be the same size but the old ones were worn down and hence had a smaller rolling diameter effectively changing your rear axle ratio. As well differnent compounds on the tires affect the 'stickiness' of the tires.

DEWFPO

2001 F150, 4.2L V6

Ran two changes of GC from the beginning of fall through the winter. I saw a mileage drop, but I attribute it to the cold weather and reformulated "winter" gas. Also warming up the truck a little longer in the winter sucks gas.

What I found with GC is that my idle speed was a little lower when cold and it idled rough. But it never ran so smooth when fully warm.

I thought my mileage was much improved with GC over SynPower 5w-40. I went from a 22 to 24 adv according to the onboard mpg computer. I can even eek out 27 driving between towns in my porky Audi V6 30v Avant (wagon) quattro automatic. 3 changes of GC later, I am actually running Havoline 5w-30 w/ARX and the mileage is a lil less. Not when coasting, but when accelerating or going uphill, it chugs more gas and is not as quick. I say if you want mpg gains, try GC, but don't be surprised if it is not noticable without an onboard comp. If you are currently using a 30 weighht oil, don't expect miracles either. My theory on weight is that thicher oil makes less drag, but gives better compression, evening out.

All I can tell you is this: GC gives me about 25+ on the highway in a twin-turbo relatively heavy sedan at 70-80 miles an hour with significant terrain changes (California/Nevada/Utah/Colorado) ...I don't think it has hurt my mileage at all.
cheers.gif

Q1,

Loyalty from the hard core SLX crowd (I forgot I was determined not to call it GC any more
grin.gif
)....I LIKE THAT!

cheers.gif

Who believes they're getting worse fuel economy after switching to GC?

Not me.

I'm averaging 25 mpg in a 98 4x4 Nissan Frontier (4cyl.) w/ mostly highway driving. If I drive slower than 70-80 mph I get 26 and when I'm bad 24 and change.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

After I dump this oil at 10,000 and publish the UOA I'll try the Group III Chevron that I promised to try 6-7 months ago.

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
Could an oils ability to 'cling' to the metal parts cause more drag? Especailly in a car with gear driven cams?

I think the "cling" to metal parts has been a marketing thing for Castrol, especially. All the formulator's know what the right balance should be. I think Molakule has posted on this, but I'm too tired to search, but yes, I think it's a trade-off/correct balance kinda thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back