WhiteShepherd, BlueDevil, Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
White Shepherd and Blue Devil stop-leak seems to have a strong following. They are the same product. I think that the White Shepherd name has been retired and replaced with Blue Devil. In any case, the active ingredient is diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, one of the chemicals found in the mixture of glycol ethers that comprise brake fluid. Does anyone have any experience with brake fluid as a stop leak? I'm not looking for "just replace the seal". I am asking for knowledge or a good guess about the use of brake fluid in oil as a stop leak.

BlueDevil has variations on this mix for nearly every oil application -- transmission, rear-end, motor oil, powersteering, transfer case.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
White Shepherd and Blue Devil stop-leak seems to have a strong following. They are the same product. I think that the White Shepherd name has been retired and replaced with Blue Devil. In any case, the active ingredient is diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, one of the chemicals found in the mixture of glycol ethers that comprise brake fluid. Does anyone have any experience with brake fluid as a stop leak? I'm not looking for "just replace the seal". I am asking for knowledge or a good guess about the use of brake fluid in oil as a stop leak.

I can tell you that we used to soak fuel injector seals in brake fluid to "swell" them up a little bit before replacement in a certain high pressure fuel system. Not really a stop leak application, but follows the idea of stop leaks swelling seals to stop leaks.

I forked over the $20 for Blue Devil. Both the smell and feel of this product is very similar to Dot3/4 brake fluid. Like brake fluid, it also has warnings about contact with painted surfaces. I dumped it into my wife's vehicle yesterday. This is the same engine that AutoRx cured of a leak for about a year - the thread is around somewhere. If there is anything to observe, I'll share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back