White wall tyres....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a Landcruiser wearing a nearly whitewall on the front passenger side from numerous kerb scrapes...

But wow

Seems like a lot of work.

I'd have sold the tires and bought a new set of what I was looking for.

Time is worth something.

I bet that stinks something awful...

32.gif
I love the Southern accent and Maine plates...

Agreed, seems dangerous (risk to the person creating the look and the subsequent passenger safety riding on those tires.) Looks shabby as well

It would make for an interesting call to tech support asking if this is OK

Originally Posted By: cmorr
It would make for an interesting call to tech support asking if this is OK

CapriRacer hasn't given us his opinion because he's still in a dead faint on the floor after watching the video.

My thoughts too...It was wrong on so many levels...I get in trouble at work for sleeves rolled up as I hate the idea of getting tangled in high inertia machinery.

That being said, a thin layer of black rubber isn't a structural member, more a "sunscreen"

Reminds me of what guys do with pulling tires. Getting the initial cut takes a lot of work, then you have to maintain the bite every so often.

Firestone does make dedicated tires now, but there are still plenty of people who make their own. You just take a tractor tire and grind it down into the pattern you see in the picture below. The reason for this design is to reduce traction and increase wheel speed. With too much traction in pulling you can't go anywhere and will snuff out right away. With too little traction you can't make it far enough. The tires basically run off friction to get you down the clay track. Ill post a video below the picture of one of that familys tractors making a pass. The same one that is shown cutting tires. When you are next to them you can really hear the whine from the tires. Their tractor is just one example of how an unlimited modified can be setup. There are no limits in that class to what you can run for engines or how many as long as you meet the length, weight and safety requirements. 4-5 Hemis running 2000-3000hp each are common, 3 V12 Allison engines are on many as well, 2-5 different turbine engines can also be configured as seen below on their tractor. Most of these tractors are over 10,000hp some creep to 15,000hp. Wheel speeds are over 200mph on many of them.

12643_223231765711_6036166_n.jpg

Last edited:
durallymax, saw on T.V. MonsterJam for the first time yesterday, and could see on some of the rigs where they have cut their own tread.

As to the white walls, I notice them all over now, on 4WD, where the passenger front spends too much time in contact with the kerb.

Originally Posted By: Garak
CapriRacer hasn't given us his opinion because he's still in a dead faint on the floor after watching the video.

I didn't comment at the time, but in a crude way, this is how WSW tires are done in a tire factory. It just seems like a lot of work for the benefit. Besides, I thought the idea of a RatRod was NOT about appearance!! (OK, maybe not, but it's about a certain kind of appearance, and I can get that a HUGE white wall might fit into that picture.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back