white mountain ice cream freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.
like everything else, it is no where near as heavy duty as the old one I used to have. It does make good icecream, and it has not failed yet (6 years). The container is thin, is rusting now so needs replaced. I have the one gallon plastic container, so I just set in in the sink so there is no mess on the patio or dead grass from the runoff. The mixer paddle is plastic but never broke. I will get another. Hopefully the next one will not be excessively cost reduced.

Rod

Funny you should ask. I just used my 6 quart electric model today to make a batch of root beer ice cream. It's got to be over 17 years old now. I am a big fan of White Mountain ice cream makers. They are quite pricey compared to the cheap ones that can be picked up at places like Walmart. But in my opinion, they are worth it. All the components are built so much better than the cheap ones. There is one disadvantage to the wooden ice bucket. Since it is wood, if you don't use the ice cream maker often enough, the wood slats tend to shrink when dry. Then the brine water runs out between the slats. This is easily remedied by filling the bucket with water and letting it set for a few hours. But the better remedy is to use the ice cream maker often enough (3 or 4 times a year) to keep the wood slats moist and swollen.

The only problem I've had is the cord shorted out a couple months ago. I guess there must have been a crack in the insulation, and the cord was laying in water. But that was easy to fix. For being 17 years old, I'm not complaining.

This is actually my second White Mountain ice cream maker. My parents gave me their old 4 quart electric White Mountain. It was at least 20 year old then they passed it down to me. The motor was not running fast enough, so I tore it apart. There was nothing wrong with the motor, but the grease in the gearbox was old and hard. I cleaned it all out, put fresh grease in, and the motor ran great again. I must have used that hand me down ice cream maker for another 20 years before I bought the 6 quart that I use now.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
like everything else, it is no where near as heavy duty as the old one I used to have. It does make good icecream, and it has not failed yet (6 years). The container is thin, is rusting now so needs replaced. I have the one gallon plastic container, so I just set in in the sink so there is no mess on the patio or dead grass from the runoff. The mixer paddle is plastic but never broke. I will get another. Hopefully the next one will not be excessively cost reduced.

Rod

I'm curious, you say your canister is rusting, but all White Mountain ice cream makers I've ever seen have stainless steel containers. Not a spot of rust on mine. I've also never seen a plastic bucket on a White Mountain. They have always been wood buckets. And White Mountain dashers are plated cast iron with wood scraper blades. Is yours perhaps a Rival? Rival bought White Mountain back in the '90's, and for a while put the White Mountain brand name on the cheap Rival ice cream makers. Rival has been bought out since then, and the new owners had the sense to separate the two ice cream maker brands again.

Last edited:
Mine must be rival. I got caught in corporate cost cutting and brand piracy.

I no longer eat ice cream except at family reunions, I am simply too fat. So mine lasted long enough.

Sorry for the confusion.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back