Whining sounds from belt/pulley area

Yes ...... Something there has a wobble to it . Take the belt off and see if every thing connected to the belt spins freely . Also wiggle to check for play .

What kind of issues?
Sometimes when alternator bearings are getting sloppy any kind of additional electrical load on the rotor will cause it to move laterally increasing bearing noise. Start the engine and listen for a sound change from the alternator before and after you turn on the lights and or blower motor.

I have a very old car and the compressor was making a whining noise. It's a spare car that we purchased new and like to keep it ... so I bypassed the compressor using a shorter belt and the noise went away.
when needed, you will have to use the power window switch or the sunroof switch instead of the AC switch. ;)

Got a 2015 Accord with the K24 about a year into ownership it got a slight wooowooowoowoo around the front of the engine- replaced the alt, belt, tensioner and not willing to dig further- just irritating tho.

My experience with this on a V8 Toyota 3UZ-FE, was I replaced an idler and then a wheel off of the tensioner. The tensioner cannot come off the engine without more work, so I bought a new tensioner and took its wheel off (ended up being same price believe it or not as getting the wheel separately).

yes, when I replaced two wheels, the squeal went away. But I learned from the above, it was in fact the smaller idler that needed the replacement, not the larger wheel on the tensioner. I guess when DIY it's not the end of the world when we replace something unnecessarily esp. if < $100, but just throwing it in there, seems to be smaller wheels/bearings that go bad as they are spinning more...

Back