Which truck to buy?

I’ve taken a new job where I will need to drive anywhere from 1-3 days a week to sites. My understanding is that my mileage would be anywhere from 1,500 to extreme of 4,000 miles/month. My work will reimburse me .585cents/mile.

I will need a pickup truck as I will need to haul fire damaged appliances/equipment (oven or stove, possibly a boiler) as well as telescoping ladder, tools, respirators, tyvek suits, etc.

I’ve never owned a truck before and have absolutely no clue what to buy.

Top needs: Reliability, Safety, Comfort, Vinyl/Leather seats (I will get very dirty).
MPG is a lost cause… I’ll get 20-23mpg regardless of what I get it seems. I keep vehicles a long time - so a truck that can go 250-300K miles would be ideal.

Questions: What is benefit of a mid-size can full size if they are nearly same price and mpg? Single vs. crew cab? Will I regret not getting a crew cab? New or used? Standard bed sufficient?

Budget is $35k max. The mileage reimbursement after fuel and maintenance will need to cover the cost of the truck.

As family works for GM, I am eligible for GM employee discount. The truck does not have to be a GM, but I strongly prefer whatever brand that the truck is US assembled.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with the standard, buy a Toyota option, a base Tundra is $40k up to mid $70s. But if you get a great deal on a GM (is that possible now?) the cost savings might be in your favor. Consider buying the extended OEM factory warranty for whatever you get, not an aftermarket plan.

i love my ford ranger. its a mid size and its perfect for me. however in your line of work the 5ft bed may not work for you if you have to haul more than 1 large appliance. a single appliance can fit easily but i had to let my tailgate down to get both washer & dryer to fit & it was still tight.

i got over 200k out of my 88 ford ranger & my dad has over 150k on his 2018 F150 so they are reliable. most of the XL versions have vinyl flooring and cloth seats. they offer a very comfortable ride also. mine rides like a dream.

my MPG on my new ranger hangs around 17-18 here in city driving.

I know this isn't what you're asking but man that's a lot to ask of a person to have them beat the heck out of their own vehicle for the company and just getting paid mileage.

The mileage reimbursement is in addition to a base salary. I think ultimately the mileage reimbursement will work out, but it’s really an initial burden to get the truck and then make up the cost. Eventually once paid off I’d bank the money for future replacement(s) as needed. The salary is good, so the mileage reimbursement I get would not be relied upon to live. If I make out ahead on the mileage that’s just an additional benefit. Some guys drive old trucks and pocket the reimbursement, so that’s an option too.

Do not take that job. Fuel cost alone ( not counting tires, oil, insurance, inspection, depreciation of the vehicle ( at least look at payment divided by miles you drive per month to figure out payment cost per mile) , vehicle upkeep, licenses, tools, and probably a few others unexpected ) , fuel cost alone is over 20 cents per mile for a truck that gets good MPGs now days.

Now if you mean .585 Dollars per mile, when you add all the items I listed above, the cost still comes out to more than a dollar a mile, and usually more than two dollars per mile.

Who ever is offering you that job sees you as a sucker who can not do the math and is willing to work at taking a loss for every mile they drive because you do not know any better.

Get some real world cost on all the items I listed and figure out the bottom line cost per mile.

Even at 58.5 cents per mile, you would be a total math fool to drive for anyone on a regular basis at the loss you would be accumulating every day.

Wake up and do the sum total cost per mile.

Sorry for the typo in the original post. The reimbursement is at the IRS mileage of 58.5c/mile, or $0.585/mile.

58.5 cents is about break even with costs. Buy new, buy a base model, finance the whole thing and if you come out ahead expenses wise including the payment its a win. That reimbursement rate can go up with future costs.

Buy what you would want to own because some day you might quit that job or it might quit you.

They need to supply you a truck and a gas card . Are you going to tell your insurance company this truck is going to be used as a commercial vehicle? Up to 4,000 miles a month plus hauling stuff is a lot of action on that truck. A brand new truck could be a waste pile after two and a half years.

In my opinion, a Ram 1500 classic quad cab, 4x4, pentastar is the most 1/2 ton pickup you will get for the dollar and even in today's market, you should be able to get a new one for $35K all-in. Pentastars will go the miles, the 8spd trans is awesome, fuel economy will be in the low 20mpg's tank/tank and it's a comfortable truck.

Yea-I agree with the above. Your operating costs are going to be high and that 58.5 cents/mile may or may not cover it. Ask for more vehicle reimbursement-or don't take the job. To answer your question-as a Silverado owner you really can't go wrong with any full size made today. But please note there are early issues with the new Tundra that I'm sure Toyota will have worked out by the NEXT MODEL YEAR.

You may want to consider the Silverado with the 2.7-it's a nice motor-ideal for your use.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
The mileage reimbursement is in addition to a base salary. I think ultimately the mileage reimbursement will work out, but it’s really an initial burden to get the truck and then make up the cost. Eventually once paid off I’d bank the money for future replacement(s) as needed. The salary is good, so the mileage reimbursement I get would not be relied upon to live. If I make out ahead on the mileage that’s just an additional benefit. Some guys drive old trucks and pocket the reimbursement, so that’s an option too.
It's a lousy mileage reinmbursement. With today's prices, everything included, maintenance, gas, depreciation and insurance the cost is around $1.00 a mile. I used to get reimbursed $0.15 per mile in 1970 and now 50 years later all those costs are at least x10 what they were in the 70s.

They need to supply you a truck and a gas card . Are you going to tell your insurance company this truck is going to be used as a commercial vehicle? Up to 4,000 miles a month plus hauling stuff is a lot of action on that truck. A brand new truck could be a waste pile after two and a half years.
If he has any assets at all-he must notify the insurance company. If he gets in an accident with the truck that's a year old and it has 30,000 miles on it the insurance company WILL ASK QUESTIONS. His employer will have a GENERAL INSURANCE RIDER but not cover his vehicle. I spent 25plus years as an outside salesperson and provided my own vehicle early in my career.
Good point in your post.

Last edited:
You want something that's safe, reliable, and can go 250K + miles. Well, I am might be biased but this sounds like a job for the Toyota truck duo the Tacoma or Tundra. However, prices might be outta range. A new Tacoma SR5 double cab 4wd w/technology package (push button start and Toyota safety sense features) will set you back $36K MSRP. A Tundra similarly equipped (SR5 4WD) is $45K+. The new Tundra isn't proven yet so the Tacoma might be the better choice. It's smaller and more nimble in parking lots and traffic. I would recommend 4wd just to have on hand in case some job sites are nasty. The previous gen Tundra's fuel mileage was horrible, I'm not gonna recommend that route no matter how reliable.

Pretty sure the GM, Ford, Dodge recommendations will overpower mine, but I figure I'd throw my two cents in.

If he has any assets at all-he must notify the insurance company. If he gets in an accident with the truck that's a year old and it has 30,000 miles on it the insurance company WILL ASK QUESTIONS. His employer will have a GENERAL INSURANCE RIDER but not cover his vehicle. I spent 25plus years as an outside salesperson and provided my own vehicle early in my career.
Good point in your post.
Yeah , and if they make them put a magnetic placard on the side of it and you got in an accident , oh boy

Reactions: CKN
Not to beat a dead horse, but that 58.5 cent allowance is only 2.5 cents more than what the IRS established in October 2021. Considering the huge runup in fuel prices, you will be on the losing end. Your new employer makes out better than you will until fuel prices come down again. Good luck with your decision.

Yes to notifying my insurance.

A new Ford Maverick at 30mpg, or an older used truck help would help make the mileage reimbursement more favorable. I realize that we live in strange times here…

As far as securing tools, I’ve been told it’s best to keep them in a separate compartment as they will get dirty from being used on fire sites. I was thinking of a side-bed tool compartment. I’ve seen ones that kinda of straddle over the wheel well hump.

The job is forensic engineering - so I’ll also need to keep specialty testing meters etc in the truck but I’d likely store those in the cab. The employer pays for all my tools/equip.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes to notifying my insurance.

A new Ford Maverick at 30mpg, or an older used truck help would help make the mileage reimbursement more favorable. I realize that we live in strange times here…

As far as securing tools, I’ve been told it’s best to keep them in a separate compartment as they will get dirty from being used on fire sites. I was thinking of a side-bed tool compartment. I’ve seen ones that kinda of straddle over the wheel well hump.

The job is forensic engineering - so I’ll also need to keep specialty testing meters etc in the truck but I’d likely store those in the cab. The employer pays for all my tools/equip.

Thanks.
Depends on the weight of the stuff. The payload of the Maverick is 1,500 pounds. Will a unibody vehicle meet your requirements? And a Maverick is at least a year out I believe. It sounds like you accepted the job. No more negotiations? You will in all likelihood be losing money. So-take that in to consideration.

Back