Which synthetic has the highest ZDDP content nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a gazillion flavours of oil... I've noticed most non boutiques (mainstream pcmo's) seem to avg about 800ppm. Boutiques/track oils for cars where the cats been pulled...well sky's the limit, eh?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nicasio
Rotella T isn't what it used to be right? The new stuff has less ZDDP IIR reading that somewhere

Your best chance would be with an oil that doesn't meet any recent API specs.

Pretty much if it meets API SN/SN+, it has
Mobil 1 0w-40 has ~1000 ppm Zn IIRC. Your best bet would be to look at non-API/ILSAC oils. Driven LS30 5w-30 has ~1300 ppm Zn with ~400 ppm Mo. Red Line 5w-30 has ~1250 ppm Zn with ~600 ppm Mo. Both of those oils are PAO/POE based, but they're also >$10/qt.

Also, why are you looking for higher ZDDP? More isn't always better for every application.

My Buick's 455 only has 460 miles on the clock since rebuild. No cats. Currently using Valvoline 10W30 conventional with a bottle of Lucas TB Zinc-Plus. I'll do another OC at 500 miles with the same stuff then again at 1500 miles. After that I'd like to go synthetic without having to buy the TB Zinc-Plus anymore. What syn would y'all recommend? Also, should I change viscosity or stick to 10W30 (I'm gonna bet old school folks will say stick to 10W30)
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nicasio
My Buick's 455 only has 460 miles on the clock since rebuild. No cats. Currently using Valvoline 10W30 conventional with a bottle of Lucas TB Zinc-Plus. I'll do another OC at 500 miles with the same stuff then again at 1500 miles. After that I'd like to go synthetic without having to buy the TB Zinc-Plus anymore. What syn would y'all recommend?

What's the cam specs and valve spring rate? Stock or stock replacement flat tappet cams are typically mild enough that additional ZDDP isn't necessary. How many miles do you plan on putting on this car per year?

Last edited:
The HDEO suppliers seem to have gone away from listing the ZDDP concentration.For instance the 2019 Mobil Delvac 1 site no longer lists Zinc or phosphate in its PDS. Coincidently the latest VOA for Mobil Delvac 1 lists Zinc at just over 800 ppm.

Last edited:
I'm running Valvoline VR1 in my 78 C10 with a built 355. Good or bad I don't know yet. First fill of it. Hot rodding guys around here say it's the cheapest for a oil with extra zinc.

Why not just run Valvoline vr1? I know it's not synthetic, but if you're running regular Valvoline conventional with a zinc additive, vr1 already has the higher zinc you're looking for. Although I'm not an amsoil user, if you want a high zinc synthetic then amsoil z rod is available in 10/30. If you aren't stuck on a thirty grade, it's also available in 20/50 and you also have Mobil 1 15/50 as an option.

I know this wasn't the question, but if you wanted you could add an extra shot of ZDDP with Rislone Engine Oil Supplement Concentrate with Zinc Treatment

I'm sure there are other additives but that seems to be pure zddp additive.

PurOl is one but it's quite expensive.

Their 0w20: 1,565P and 1,730Z

Originally Posted by Red91
Why not just run Valvoline vr1? I know it's not synthetic, but if you're running regular Valvoline conventional with a zinc additive, vr1 already has the higher zinc you're looking for. Although I'm not an amsoil user, if you want a high zinc synthetic then amsoil z rod is available in 10/30. If you aren't stuck on a thirty grade, it's also available in 20/50 and you also have Mobil 1 15/50 as an option.
Vr1 has a full synthetic version 10w30 that has a zinc level of 1180 ppm.

Originally Posted by Davejam
I know this wasn't the question, but if you wanted you could add an extra shot of ZDDP with Rislone Engine Oil Supplement Concentrate with Zinc Treatment

I'm sure there are other additives but that seems to be pure zddp additive.

That was my initial thought. That or a bottle of STP blue. But then you get into the whole "messing with the chemistry" thing, so dunno.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why the need for syn oil?

Who cares? He asked about synthetic. Dont like it: oh well, just dont comment

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 1300 ppm Zinc. Mobil 1 V-Twin 1750 ppm Zinc.

I'll second this recommendation
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back