Which silicone spray have the most % silicone ?

I try wd40 silicone spray to clean my weather strip . It’s just clear fluid come out . Not much of silicone . And it’s dried too quickly into the weather strip . I feel it doesn’t give much silicone .

Few years ago I try permatex silicone spray in blue can . And it’s have a lot white silicone when I spray it and it leave a kinda wet shiny film onto the weather strip. Compare to wd40 clear silicone .

my OREILLY no longer order them .

Silicone spray will always have a lot of fluid. It may have a propane propellant, and also have lots of petroleum distillates. The solvents are intended to dry off, leaving only a very tiny bit of silicone behind.

Silicone brake fluid will be nearly 100% silicone oil, as will super lube silicone oil. They also sell variants for treadmills.

Frankly, IMO if you’re spraying such a solvent heavy product on weather strips without good rationale, you’re doing it wrong.

I had to use spray when I was trying to insert tubing into my OE door seals. A liquid wouldn’t have traveled far enough. I used the garage door spray because it is supposedly a higher percentage. At the points where the spray physically contacted the cross section of the seals, it was obvious that they had swelled due to the solvents.

Fortunately I was doing it on an old truck that already had seals that werent great...

Reactions: X15
Silicone spray isn't really a cleaner, you clean it before hand then spray or wipe on silicone. In order to clean with it alone due to the petroleum solvents, you'd be wiping most of the silicone back off.

Is this a dense rubber or foamy material? If dense, after washing it off with hot detergent solution and rinsing, I would sparingly apply a light silicone grease, rubbing it in good, leaving the thinnest film possible to attract minimum dust. If foamy, how about 303 Protectant instead? You will need to apply it more often, but far less of a mess to not have a foamy material clog up with a silicone oil based product.

This is pure silicone ... good stuff, works good.

Despite the fact the numb nuts seller left the E off - I have gone through a couple cans of this stuff over the years, works like a CHARM.

BEST use: Squeaking floor, under linoleum on the second floor with no access underneath. Drilled a couple micro holes in the subflooring, blew a bunch of silicone in through an extended tube, squeak stopped and never came back. Got silicone off floor (dangerously slippery) with Gold Bond medicated powder and then vacuumed the powder up, then cleaned well. Plugged holes with matching silicone caulk - invisible to the point of I cannot find the holes.

^^^ Yep Pablo ... I've used it on many things and it's performed very well. (y)

I’ve found a better solution than silicone spray and that’s the 3 in 1 brand rubber seal conditioner. It works excellent I seen it at Walmart with the RV stuff and gave it a try does great. Doesn’t dry out or wear off for a long while.

I’ve found a better solution than silicone spray and that’s the 3 in 1 brand rubber seal conditioner. It works excellent I seen it at Walmart with the RV stuff and gave it a try does great. Doesn’t dry out or wear off for a long while.
I will give this a try locally product. Before online stuff

This is pure silicone ... good stuff, works good.

The SDS shows that it is 10 - 15% silicone with 40 - 50%+ acetone, petroleum distillate, heptane, etc.. How is it different than other silicone sprays?

EDIT: O.k., I answered my own question. Sorry. 10 - 15% silicon is significantly higher than most other brands. This Kellogg product also has MUCH less petroleum distillate than other products! I was thrown off by the use of the word "pure". And, I think that the concern about using aerosol versions of silicone is covered by JHZR2's post above.

Last edited:
I was about to say (before your edit) that only an oil forum would "determine" the usefulness of a product by focusing on the percentage of a single component LOL.

I've been using SUper-Lube silicone oil on my weather stripping for a few years, seems to work very well.

This is the go-to rubber seal treatment over this side of the pond. It looks like you guys can get it too.

A while back someone recommended the Honda Genuine silicone grease for my doors freezing so I gave it a whirl. First I cleaned the door seals with Meguiare's #39, this stuff leaves absolutely no residue, then applied the Honda grease. What I liked about it besides no more does freezing shut is how long it lasted and how easy it was to put on the second time a year later.

I finaly found some of the 3 in 1 rubber seal conditioner to try. I wanted to compare it with the 3M-08897 dry type silicone spray that I have been using for over 30 years on rubber parts.

First I applied the 3 in 1 on the passengers side of my trunk lid seal and the 3M on the drivers side. I used paper towels applying the spray to the towel and then rubbing it on the rubber seal. The 3 in 1 paper towel turned darker than the 3M towel which led me to think it might contain more solvent than the 3M.

I finished the trunk seal and then decide to try them on a 3 year old black plastic garbage can lid. Both silicone sprays made the faded plastic lid look great. The paper towel from the 3 in 1 side turned solid black and the 3M side towel just turned dark.

I came back in one hour and the 3 in 1 side was now a washed out gray color and felt dry to the touch. I know the plastic garbage can lid is not rubber but it appears to show that the 3 in 1 has some kind of solvent that does not like ABS plastic. The 3M silicone is safe for door seals and and even safe GM EP brake parts so I will keep using the 3M.

Attachments

• Silicone Spray 002.jpg
    Silicone Spray 002.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 39
These better products claim they have no petroleum oils and maybe no solvents, but they do contain petroleum distillates.

What are petroleum distillates, and I assume they must be rubber and plastic safe???

Back