Which provider for internet in Columbia, SC Spectrum or ATT

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Moving to Columbia SC in a week and need to select an internet provider. This is the first home we have had a choice of ISPs.

Appears ATT and Charter are the two available providers. We currently have Comcast, no internet issues with them, but find their cable to not have enough free channels of common stuff (like CMT). Comcast doubled what it charges us over the past two years. Currently we pay in addition for a separate landline for my Wife. She is on the phone a ton and likes the dependability of a landline.

What I don't like is the hassle and games dealing with ATT. Also do not like that ATT is not only a ISP, but owns some of the content. We likely won't get cable TV, just internet.

Any thoughts on Spectrum or ATT?

Spectrum is the safe choice.
What technology is ATT using to provide service at your particular address? Because if it's DSL it can be good for some and mediocre for others.

Spectrum is the safe choice.
What technology is ATT using to provide service at your particular address? Because if it's DSL it can be good for some and mediocre for others.
I assumed it was Fiber (not DSL), but I see I better verify.

Verify what ATT is providing to you - Fiber or DSL. See if you can find local comments on service. In my area, land options are Frontier (Fiber for some, DSL for others) and Charter (Broadband).

In my neck of the woods, the only reason to mess with Frontier is for Fiber. And I mean it when I say its the only reason. Otherwise Charter is the "best" choice. I'll state in my neighborhood Charter has been great through the pandemic. I had one week with drops, their tech came and cleaned up the connections inside and outside, replaced the modem, and its been rock solid since. Not cheap, but its been reliable... Supported two adults working from home and 2 kids educations from home, video meetings for all, and no issues.

In San Antonio we had the same choice for our home. ATT Fiber or Spectrum.

ATT Fiber people are aggressively pushing their product, even walking door to door trying to drum up sales.. Depending on your needs, most folks don't need 1GIG internet.

Anyways, in typical ATT fashion, they offer a 1 year intro price and a 2 year contract. Second year price is more than double of the intro price.

Folks on my street dumped them for spectrum.

Spectrum is no contract and you can usually re-negotiate the intro price if you care.

I pay $44.95 for 300/10 with no tax and no extra fees. ATT will have extra fees on top of your cost you think you should be paying.

Reactions: GON
I assumed it was Fiber (not DSL), but I see I better verify.
Yes, it depends what community you will be in. Some have copper and some have fiber.
If it’s fiber with ATT and the price was right I would be tempted to go with ATT.
We have spectrum cable but it’s pricey at $80 a month 200 down and only 12 up.
Our neighbor has ATT and the maximum he can get is 25 because they only have copper in our community.
If you go on ATT’s website they will be able to tell you what you will get.

Both services are reliable but that can depend on location.
I’m your area TMobile home internet may be another option, their website will also confirm whether it is or not. Since it’s so new you may want to pass on it until any possible bugs in the area are worked out.

Last edited:
If you have spectrum you may want to check out Ask Trim. Its an AI service that negotiates a lower price for your Spectrum bill. I used them and they negotiated a 2 year rate lock of $44.95 for my current internet only plan.

I think they take 25 or 30 percent of the annual savings up front for their service, but it was worth it.

Reactions: GON
Go to each of the providers' websites and enter the new address. You should be able to see the price/speed available from each one. Choose the best value. We have ATT here in my rural subdivision. The best that's offered as of now is 18mbps...but it's been pretty consistent and reliable in the 4½ years I've lived here.

I keep getting notices in my mailbox that other providers are coming...so maybe I'll have some faster options soon.

Just a closure to this thread. Went with Spectrum, primarily because ATT had hidden fees in their pricing, and I am not thrilled that ATT owns 80 percent of ESPN, for which I don't watch but have paid over a thousand dollars in cable fees to have involuntarily.

Spectrum was super easy to order, they just shipped me all the equipment, never had to speak to anyone. Plugged it in, went through some simple self installation actions, and it all worked. Easy as eating a pancake.

One of the things I like best about Spectrum is they let me use my personal e-mail for my account e-mail. Had Comcast at my last home, they defaulted to a comcast e-mail. I never received a bill form comcast, and over three years my rate from Comcast tripled, but I never knew it. Bottom line- seems Spectrum plays less games...

I have had both. Spectrum is the one you want. As others have said, they don't play games with their Internet service (their cable TV is another matter), they don't cap your data, and their service is more reliable. Hard pass on their VOIP phone service, it is a ripoff (don't let them talk you into it, even if they give it to you initially). Take their free modem and purchase your own WiFi router.
For your landline phone service get Google Voice with a Obihai (Polycom) device or OOMA.

Last edited:
Back