Which oil for 2000 Mountaineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably going to be buying a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer from a co-worker sometime this week, and I want to know which oil to use in it. It has the 5.0 V8 and 58,000 miles on the clock. It has been dealer maintained ever since he has owned it. Would the dealer use 5W-20 in this motor or 5W-30? I'm planning on using Mobil 1, whichever grade it uses, because it is readily available.

A 2000 model 5.0/302 would likely use 5W30/10W30. In AZ a 10W30 would be the best pick. I would use either Mobil 1 or Amsoil 10W30 for a synthetic oil.

quote:

Originally posted by TheJMan19:
I'm probably going to be buying a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer from a co-worker sometime this week, and I want to know which oil to use in it. It has the 5.0 V8 and 58,000 miles on the clock. It has been dealer maintained ever since he has owned it. Would the dealer use 5W-20 in this motor or 5W-30? I'm planning on using Mobil 1, whichever grade it uses, because it is readily available.

Ford TSB 02-1-9
Authorizes use of 5W-20 in 2000 Mercury Mountaineer with 5.0L engine.

I assume the dealer used 5W-30 and then switched to 5W-20 sometime in 2002. Ford authorized the use of 5W-20 apparently due to complaints from dealers about having to stock two different bulk oils and increase volume of 5W20 production to meet the EPA mandate that the oil had to be available at near the same price as 5W-30 oils before they would be able to use it in their MPG test.

If the vehicle is out of warranty I would run 10W30 Mobile 1. I think it may even be grudgingly allowed in the original owners manual. Th old 5.0L Pushrod Engine doesnt need a 5W unless you have extreme temps in the winter.

Gene

quote:

The dealer most likely used 5w-30. I would use either 5w or 10w-30 Mobil 1. What's the altitude in Scottsdale and does it get cold?

I think we are about 1200 feet above sea level. We are just east of Phoenix and have almost the exact same temperatures every day. So, no it does not get cold here.

I'll probably use Mobil 1 10W-30 since I work at Target I get 10% off, and we have a healthy stock of it at the moment.

cool.gif
The dealer most likely used 5w-30. I would use either 5w or 10w-30 Mobil 1. What's the altitude in Scottsdale and does it get cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back