Which oil do I use now?

Need some advice please, need to do a oil change, but yet again not sure if I am using the correct oil. Vehicle manual states A5/B5 oil should be used. But it also states that after 100 000km they recommend A3/B4. Now my headache came in little over a year ago on a oil change. I used to change the oil with A3/B4 5w30 Castrol Magnatec as stated by the manual. Then I could not find A3/B4 5w30 anymore, I could get A3/B4 in 5w40, but not in 5w30 anymore. Suddenly the only availabe 5W30 here by me is A5.
Volvo told me, they also use the 5w40 now. I immediatly after filling with 5w40 my fuel consumption went down a little. Should I just suck it up and keep using it, or?
Where I live, winter temps go down to 4 degrees C, and summer around 38.....

Volvo V40 D3, 5 cylinder Polestar.
2.JPG
1.JPG

Well, since your manual states A3 0W-30 for severe service, but you’ve been running A5 without issue for most of the engines life (the first 100k), I’d continue to run the A5. Unless you could mail order the A3.

As you have a DPF then I'd consider getting something a little more DPF-friendly, especially as you're consuming.

Look at ACEA C3 oils, these have the same viscosity and wear requirements of A3/B4 oils but have a low-ash additive pack that is less likely to cause DPF issues.

Another option would be an ACEA E9 oil. These are heavy duty diesel engine oils but would work perfectly fine in this engine.

I had two Volvo V40 D3's with the later 4 cylinder VEA engines and they aren't a patch on the older 5 pots. The 5 pots are smoother, gruntier, make a better noise and just feel quite special to drive. Shame they ditched them.

As you have a DPF then I'd consider getting something a little more DPF-friendly, especially as you're consuming.

Look at ACEA C3 oils, these have the same viscosity and wear requirements of A3/B4 oils but have a low-ash additive pack that is less likely to cause DPF issues.

Another option would be an ACEA E9 oil. These are heavy duty diesel engine oils but would work perfectly fine in this engine.

I had two Volvo V40 D3's with the later 4 cylinder VEA engines and they aren't a patch on the older 5 pots. The 5 pots are smoother, gruntier, make a better noise and just feel quite special to drive. Shame they ditched them.
Forgot to mention, no DPF. Had DPF failure at 120 000, and done a delete. And still no black smoke.
Ooo yeah, love the engine and sound.

In which case, any A3/B4 oil would suffice. If it was mine? I'd go pick up Mobil1 0w40 FS.

If you're in the UK and have a Costco account then M1 0w40 FS can be picked up for £32/5 litres!
Sweet thanks, I know a store close to me that sells Mobil1.

If A5/B5 works ok and doesn't burn it, go ahead with w30 A5/B5.
You can use 0-5 w30 C3 and 0-5 w40 C3 with shorter kms.
You can use 0-5 w40 B4 full kms, some 5w40 B4 like Shell or Motul works with low visco, similar to 0w40 and w30 B4/C3.

If A5/B5 works ok and doesn't burn it, go ahead with w30 A5/B5.
You can use 0-5 w30 C3 and 0-5 w40 C3 with shorter kms.
You can use 0-5 w40 B4 full kms, some 5w40 B4 like Shell or Motul works with low visco, similar to 0w40 and w30 B4/C3.

Why would a C3 oil need to be replaced more often? Bare in mind most European diesel vehicles that specify a C3 oil run a 20,000mile OCI.

In which case, any A3/B4 oil would suffice. If it was mine? I'd go pick up Mobil1 0w40 FS.

If you're in the UK and have a Costco account then M1 0w40 FS can be picked up for £32/5 litres!
I would agree with this. Typically easy to get and well priced, as well as being an excellent product.

Why would a C3 oil need to be replaced more often? Bare in mind most European diesel vehicles that specify a C3 oil run a 20,000mile OCI.

Simply because it's not real, a eco-commercial lie, most of C3 with 15k km (9k miles) are died from chemical point, most 30k kms announced service (18k miles) are automatically cutted by car ecu around 20-25k kms (12-15k miles).
Even strong B4 oils suffers from 20-25k kms with stronger additive and better base oil.
Same history that gearbox oil is for life.

Simply because it's not real, a eco-commercial lie, most of C3 with 15k km (9k miles) are died from chemical point, most 30k kms announced service (18k miles) are automatically cutted by car ecu around 20-25k kms (12-15k miles).
Even strong B4 oils suffers from 20-25k kms with stronger additive and better base oil.
Same history that gearbox oil is for life.

I know of many many diesel engines that have made 200k+ and still run without any issues despite 20k intervals with ACEA C3 lubricants.

If what you're saying was true, Europe would be littered with diesel cars all on the side of the road.

I know of many many diesel engines that have made 200k+ and still run without any issues despite 20k intervals with ACEA C3 lubricants.

If what you're saying was true, Europe would be littered with diesel cars all on the side of the road.
And I know many gearboxes running over 200k kms without issues with original oil, it's irrelevant, it works yeah.
Now get oil life data and internals wear and compare, then you understand it doesn't work well, "works" only.

Back