Which of these winter tires should I pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those wheels look WAY TOO NICE for Joyzee winter 'salt soup' use!

But nice choices.
thumbsup2.gif

I had H rated Pirelli 210 Winters as my first winter set up on this car (225/55-16s on the stock 16x8 alloys), and I was impressed with their performance in some of the snowiest Jersey winter commutes, 50 mile round trips between Bound Brook and Springfield on Rt. 22, I ever experienced.

No, not as perfectly sure footed as the Nokian R and T rated full on winters of that time, but good nonetheless.
wink.gif

UPS dropped them off today...

5F94AD4B-D59D-47EB-A2A7-6F353535DB9A_zpsrgk2salb.jpg

Came with their own lug nuts, centering rings, and a socket.

37B41410-E8C1-4C73-AF35-98D912D231DA_zps2nwswhio.jpg

982703B6-1F17-4DB5-92EE-D62532A227E9_zpsiotyxlgv.jpg

84DD8F82-9CDD-40EE-8F67-365FEDFA5A03_zpsftj1y5op.jpg

57A92345-C8C9-4A22-BF90-0140807DC138_zpsosnq2cdl.jpg

Nice air cap:

5CF05A58-AE7D-45EB-BCB2-C6A29BF0E484_zpscbscchfo.jpg

Made in Germany, not Italy:

EFDA7391-428C-4BD5-B28C-C0BED8BE9AC5_zps1tgyszyx.jpg

I was a little bummed by this, but what can one do???

F22C9F93-1F26-418D-91CA-05EC32DF1CC1_zpsard01hlq.jpg

I guess the lug nut seat for these is different than the OE one, so TR sent some new ones. Also provided a socket which I don't quite get... My OE lugs are 19mm, this socket is 19mm, the male end is 19mm and a ever so slightly larger size.

788F318B-79AA-4107-9CDB-6F12474CCB16_zpssjsqxa4c.jpg

I checked the hut and the first make section and both are 19mm.

7B15534C-C323-4E42-98D7-64B3D0AB1D3D_zpsiwpnjjq4.jpg

With 65 degree temperatures and a number of longer drives ahead, I'll probably put off installing for a few weeks...

Usually i don't care for the look of aftermarket wheels( of course for snow tires it does not matter). But those wheels look good! Almost too nice for snow tires!

They included a 3/4" to 19mm adapter!
laugh.gif

They're afraid you'll only have a really thick socket, maybe.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
laugh.gif

With those darker wheels, i'd want a plastic coated lug socket, or wrap that one with tape.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Usually i don't care for the look of aftermarket wheels( of course for snow tires it does not matter). But those wheels look good! Almost too nice for snow tires!

I'm generally NOT a fan of aftermarket wheels. I was originally going to get a second set of OE wheels, but really wanted a slightly narrower tire with more sidewall and lower cost for the lifetime obtained. Going 16" got me there at a lower cost than a set of refurbished OE 17" wheels...

My car already has machined wheels with black accents as OE, so I figured dark wheels on a dark car would work ok. We will see...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
laugh.gif

I don't understand this socket either (not enough coffee yet?) but I do know one of my coworkers had a devil of a time with his alloys. He said the lugs kept loosening up on him. So I went and looked, and immediately drove him to the parts store to get a proper deep socket and breaker bar. He was using an ancient 4 way with thick walls which was grabbing like 2mm of lug--his alloys wouldn't let the 4 way go deep enough. He had been content to just tightening the lugs every couple days...

Maybe Tire Rack figures it's cheaper to send the socket than to face a lawsuit. "Look, we gave you the tool for free, not our fault if you can't tighten lugs properly with a torque wrench, etc etc."

Many after market wheels will not allow the average thick wall socket to fit. Or the OEM lug wrench.

Those look great. Winter tire are all about priorities.. and while those may not match the absolute ice traction of a max traction winter tire. I am sure they will be more livable day to day and much superior to all-seasons.

I love the wheels as well.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Those look great. Winter tire are all about priorities.. and while those may not match the absolute ice traction of a max traction winter tire. I am sure they will be more livable day to day and much superior to all-seasons.

Yeah, my main long drives are between NYC and DC. More often south than north... So mild conditions are in my favor.

I don't get why the Dunlop 4D was in such short supply ( only two available in the "best" 16" size for me) since the summer, and never had more come in...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Rand

Yeah, my main long drives are between NYC and DC. More often south than north... So mild conditions are in my favor.

I don't get why the Dunlop 4D was in such short supply ( only two available in the "best" 16" size for me) since the summer, and never had more come in...

Maybe Dunlop/Goodyear are busy cranking the new 5Ds (available in Europe) and do not have capacity to build older models?

Krzyś

Finally got these on the car... In Feb.

Wonder how much use they will get?

3E28754A-82AE-4B05-A6A6-6028180DBAFC_zpsv87zl1zl.jpg

532A83C9-39EC-4C3E-BEAD-4777746ECBA8_zpsa0f69lr3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back