which Mobil1 for my older Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage have a higher viscosity then most 10w-40 oils. I am currently using it in a older, high mileage (159k), Toyota Camry with a 2L engine that has hydraulic lifters. The car seems to labor at bit more starting up when cold or at idle after I put this oil in. Runs fine with this oil otherwise. It was not like that when I had 10w-40 mineral based oil in the car. The owner's manual lists 5 different grades of oil that can be used in the car, depending on conditions...5w-30 to 20w-50. 10w-40 seems like the best choice in my area, based on weather. (moderate coastal climate) So, I am looking at trying the Mobil 1 10w-30 high mileage or maybe the Mobil 1 0w-40. My car does not leak oil and although is 23 years old, the body and interior are in almost show room like condition...basically, it a classic and I am looking for the best protection for the engine

Last edited:
The M1 10-30 HM should work well for you. M1 is coming out with a 5-30HM right a way.
With that said the M1 5-30EP oil should be fine as long as your engine is clean to start with. As you can see I use the EP line in my Merc. and it does great on it.

Which model year and engine do you have? This must be a very old Camry with a 2.0L engine. I think you are on the right track using the M1 10-30 HM, particularly given where you are. Wait a moment, are you in SoCal, or NoCal. Same wacky Austrian governator, perhaps a different oil.
wink.gif

WelcomePlane.gif
to the site.

Take some time and read through the masses of info here. You will see that there is a large body of membership who feel that, especially for a car like yours, the M1 10-30 is far and away the best choice.

1986 Camry LE, 1995cc gasoline engine. Live in San Francisco...don't have to drive all that far east, to hit 90F + temps during the summer...about 30 miles

Last edited:
160k miles in 23 years means you don't drive this car very much and/or mostly shorter trips of 10-15 miles, I would use M1 0W30 in this Camry.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
160k miles in 23 years means you don't drive this car very much and/or mostly shorter trips of 10-15 miles, I would use M1 0W30 in this Camry.

What's the basis for that rec as compared to the HM 10w-30?

This car is seeing less than 7k miles, on average, every year. With a UOA establishing a lack of oil-challenging problems, I'd feel fine doing one-year OCIs, especially with the HM oil. Sure, the 0w-30 M1 is a superb oil, but not sure it's the best choice here. I'd want one that was designed aging seals, etc., in mind. And in SF, he really does not need the 0w component of this oil (I know, I don't need it either in the GC I run my cars in FL...).

I acquired the car from a elderly couple 2 months ago. They bought the car new in 1986. They had extensive maint records for the car from Toyota dealership they used for service/maint. I noticed the on the service records, that the dealership used Toyota brand 5w-30 oil for this car. The area were the previous owner lived has rather hot summers....it's in the California Central Valley.
Regarding the mileage, I ran a CarFax & AutoCheck report on the car before buying it.

I have used Mobil 1 on other cars since 1984.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sako
I acquired the car from a elderly couple 2 months ago. They bought the car new in 1986. They had extensive maint records for the car from Toyota dealership they used for service/maint. I noticed the on the service records, that the dealership used Toyota brand 5w-30 oil for this car. The area were the previous owner lived has rather hot summers....it's in the California Central Valley.
Regarding the mileage, I ran a CarFax & AutoCheck report on the car before buying it.

I have used Mobil 1 on other cars since 1984.

Well, with that in mind, the avg mpg figure is worthless. How many miles are you actually going to put on this gem every year?

What do you see when you look down the oil filler?

Why on earth did the elderly couple feel the need to be rid of this car???

Barring something really out of the ordinary, I'm still voting for the HM 10w-30.

The $4,000 they spent on repairs and service at the dealership over the last 2 years, was probably a factor in them selling the car. The car runs great and everthing works fine

Short distance driving does not need thicker oil, M1 0W30 is somewhat thinner than M1 HM 10w-30 the first 15-20 minutes/5-10 miles drive, therefore it can lubricate engine parts better.

My 1994 LS400 with more than 240k miles still likes thinner oil, the recommended is either 5W30 or 10W30 and it preferred 5W30, it is much quieter with 5W20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Short distance driving does not need thicker oil, M1 0W30 is somewhat thinner than M1 HM 10w-30 the first 15-20 minutes/5-10 miles drive, therefore it can lubricate engine parts better.

My 1994 LS400 with more than 240k miles still likes thinner oil, the recommended is either 5W30 or 10W30 and it preferred 5W30, it is much quieter with 5W20.

Alas, this is not really correct. By this logic, he should use the plain-Jane 10w-30. It is 62 cSt at 40C. The 0w-30 is slightly thicker at 63 cSt at 40C. The HM 10w-30 is notably thicker at 78 cSt at 40C, but in his climate, I think that's a harmless difference. I'd still go for the benefit of the HM add pack over the somewhat thinner 0w oil (or plain 10w). Now, if he were in North Dakota in the winter -- different story.

Personally, I like thinner oil for my cars. All my cars performed better with thinner oil, mainly because they're all driven mostly less than 15 trips.

'00 E430 - recommended: M1 0W40, use: M1 0W20
'94 LS400 - recommended: 5W30, use: Peak 10W30 (very thin 10W30)
'04 S2000 - recommended: Dino 10W30, use: M1 5W30; Will try either M1 0W20 or Synpower 5W20 on next OCI

I decided to use Mobil 1 10-30 EP. Next oil change, I will look for 5w-30 Mobil 1 HM. Took a 120 mile ride after putting in the 10-30EP, on the hwy the engine ran very smooth with this oil.
Only frustration was a leaking drain plug. I had installed a new Ishino OEM fiber gasket and was careful to make sure the seating surfaces were clean. I used to a torque wrench to tighten the drain plug to 19fp. (a mechanic I know told me to torgue to this amount) The drain plug in question is 18mm and takes a 19mm socket. Well, I tightned it to 19fps and put in the oil. About 90 minutes later, I went back to check on the car, before my trip and noticed a small puddle of oil under the drain plug. I ended up tightned the plug twice more to stop the drip.....approx 23fp. Perhaps a different brand drain plug gasket next time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back