Which Michelin from BJs or Costco ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both BJs Warehouse and Costco sell the same Michelin tires.

Michelin Premier LTX final price/installed after all rebates 727
Michelin Premier A/S final price/installed after all rebates 727
Michelin Primacy MXM final price/installed after all rebates 827

As of this writing (today), BJs also discounts the installation from 60 to 30 and rebates 70 (included above).

Starting Sep, Costco will do their 1 penny installs and possibly also match the rebate so very strong possibility that price is around same for both stores.

This is not a question of final price but more about which of the above tires is best when it comes to road noise (AFTER over 20,30k miles) and wet conditions (safety, braking, steering control) ?

The Wife's Armada came with Michelin Latitude tires. They road great and had no road noise but they only lasted 45K with regular rotate/balance. They wore evenly, just were done in 45K.

Lots of people switched to the LTX M/S2 and like those. I chose a different brand of tire when I replaced the OEM tires.

How would one pre-evaluate potential for damage to rims ?

Is this with reference to over torque or mis-use of air tools when nuts should be hand torqued for aluminium wheels ?

Originally Posted By: henni
Both BJs Warehouse and Costco sell the same Michelin tires.

Michelin Premier LTX final price/installed after all rebates 727
Michelin Premier A/S final price/installed after all rebates 727
Michelin Primacy MXM final price/installed after all rebates 827

As of this writing (today), BJs also discounts the installation from 60 to 30 and rebates 70 (included above).

Starting Sep, Costco will do their 1 penny installs and possibly also match the rebate so very strong possibility that price is around same for both stores.

This is not a question of final price but more about which of the above tires is best when it comes to road noise (AFTER over 20,30k miles) and wet conditions (safety, braking, steering control) ?

i have MXM4 and would buy them again.

Originally Posted By: henni
How would one pre-evaluate potential for damage to rims ?

Is this with reference to over torque or mis-use of air tools when nuts should be hand torqued for aluminium wheels ?

Reviews and your own experience. I made the mistake of using Costco on my current set because I saved $40/tire on the install. The were understaffed and as a result I have wear on the clear coat along the side walls of where the lugs go, and I have a small chip in one rim.

I will say this, I just spent 860.00 on 4 Michelin A/S tires for our Sienna. They are extremely quiet, and ride great.....But I was extremely disappointed in the tires only having 8.5/32nds of tread, I never even questioned tread depth because I never knew Michelin pulled that nonsense.

As long as they last I guess it really does not matter, however time will tell.

I like seeing deep tread on new 800 dollar tires, even if the end result is the same as starting out with 11/32nds.

On the A/S line of tires they brag how the tires handling is still good after they are half worn, now I see why, they are practically worn out when they are new....

Our old Michelin Harmonies started at 11/32nds tread and at 40k mile had about 7/32nds left. They were replaced because of cracking @ 9 years old.

Last edited:
That is just the Premiers that have the shallower tread depth. A year ago I bought the Michelin X LT for my Tundra at Sam's Club (club version and identical tire to Michelin Defender LTX) and they are 11/32" of tread.

I've had 2 sets A/S's and 4 sets of LTX's.

I was happy with both but I did not replace the A/S with A/S. I replaced them both with Defenders. I had a warranty adjustment on one set of the A/S which was very very fair.

I did replace every set of LTX's with LTX's. That is a given for me.

FWIW...

All wheels should be torqued by hand in my opinion. Michelin has good ride traction and low noise. Don't expect the stated mileage you will do good to get 60 to 70% of the mileage.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Don't be so focused on price alone. Ed

Quoting myself, in case you missed last sentence:

Quote:

I would choose Costco over BJ's (for the same tire) for two reasons:

One, you can make an installation appointment at Costco

Two, Costco's Road Hazard Warranty is 2 years longer than BJ's.

Originally Posted By: chemman
you can make an installation appointment at Costco

Costco takes appointments now?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: chemman
.. Costco's Road Hazard Warranty is 2 years longer than BJ's.

If you are no longer a Costco (or BJs) member but have a valid RH Warranty, do they still honor it ?
ie. 12 mo, 24 mo +++ and later ?

Costco has been taking appointments for about 2 years now. Works out really well for me. One can even do it online.

As far as the question regarding Costco or BJ's honoring the Road Hazard Warranty if one is no longer a member, I do not know.

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
BJ will probably have a shorter line than Costco. Costco is known for their long lines and understaffing.

Absurd

In major cities there are documented posts about multi hour waits for rotations. I wouldn't use the term "under staffed". They seem to use every bay they have available. The term "too busy" is probably accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back