Which is the better purchase? Silverado 1500 or 2500

Check to see how the 2014 onward 5.3’s with AFM are performing. There should be some out there with over 100,000 miles. Reason I ask is that they were improved over the pre-2014 models which had a lot of problems with lifters due to the AFM system.

Any chance of squeezing into a brand new 1500? Seems like some new half tons are out there with a bit of incentives even. You can take great care of it and it should last a long time.

For used, the heavy duty will outlast without a doubt and return more resale value. Half tons with 6 digit mileage drop in value a lot more than HD. You just have to pay the fuel and ride quality price every single day.

1500, doesn’t sound like you need to tow capacity of the 3/4 ton. I’ve always felt that once you get past 1/2 ton you start to get into pain in the balls territory for use around town, unloaded, etc.

It almost seems like no one in here has driven a modern 3/4 ton or better...My Brother-in-law has my exact same truck in a 1/2 ton. Same year, same trim, same length and same color. The only thing better about his truck is the MPG. The ride difference is negligible. They are physically the same width and length. Driving them feels almost identical. For your use a 1/2 ton is fine for what you are going to do but the 6.0/6L90E in the 3/4 is just less problematic.

Depending on if you need a truck for work, you may want to consider an econobox for commuting in order to preserve whatever truck you get and to save on fuel.

I have a colleague that was commuting with a truck, 110 miles each day. He ended up buying a new Prius back when gas was $1.69 (last November) because he saw the writing on the wall and predicted gas would jump. Now with $3.40 gas, he said his new car payment is essentially zero because of the gas savings between his truck and his Prius. He still has the truck and he uses it every weekend but his plan is to keep his truck to 300K and just use econoboxes for the daily abuse. So if you have an office gig, save the abuse on the truck and consider getting a smaller commute car.

We have 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks in our fleet doing the same jobs.

Operators all prefer the 1/2 tons except when the job demands the higher payload or towing capabilities of the 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton trucks drive like dump trucks compared to the 1/2 tons... when they are empty and hauling sailboat fuel. There is a noticeable difference between them. And before anyone says it - these trucks are all less than 5 years old in our fleet, so yes, they are "modern" 3/4 tons...

None of your scenarios seem to require the 3/4 ton.

Operators all prefer the 1/2 tons except when the job demands the higher payload or towing capabilities of the 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton trucks drive like dump trucks compared to the 1/2 tons... when they are empty and hauling sailboat fuel. There is a noticeable difference between them. And before anyone says it - these trucks are all less than 5 years old in our fleet, so yes, they are "modern" 3/4 tons...

Our 3/4ton vans also had LT tires on them which never helps the ride compared to the 1/2 ton vans. I'd assume all 2500 trucks would require LT tires as well.
For resale I'd assume the 2500 would be worth more in 5-10 years all else equal, but probably not enough to worry about.

To be clear - I'm not blanket stating that 3/4 ton trucks ride like garbage all the time. I can state that when they are loaded up, they ride well.

Its when they are empty that they do not. Its tough to overcome the physics of all the things needed to gain higher payloads and towing capabilities - like E rated LT tires, higher running pressures in those tires, stronger springs, heavier frames, heavier axles, etc... I'll mention that the 3/4 ton trucks get significantly lower gas mileage compared to the their 1/2 ton counterparts in our fleet usage as well... It all adds up.

For the OP's use, when they don't even need the higher payload and towing, why would you subject yourself to the downsides?

No-it doesn't. How's your mini van running?
Widely reported problems in 1500 mostly shifting quality. I am also aware of the transmission problem with the Caravan but it is running great however I only have 24k but I keep extended warranty on it for this reason.

The 1500 is fully suited for your uses. AFM sucks ever considered a Ford 2.7 Ecoboost? They average about 20 MPG EPA so you’re still gain 2-3 mpg on a 5.3.

Sure you can get a 2500. It is “better”. But with gas prices like this and possibly higher, you may feel the urge to trade down from an HD in a year or two. Go drive a 1500 and see how it feels first. I think people blow up the AFM issues much more than it actually is. I’ve never driven a 5.3 or 6.2 and felt it was crap.

Maybe consider a Colorado. They can trailer ATVs and do exactly what you are looking to do. You can probably get a new one for what you’re paying for a used 1500. used vehicles with that mileage there is no saying what is reliable and what isn’t. We don’t know how hard the POs used the trucks.

I agree I don’t know what that guy is driving. I used to swap between F-150s and F250 and the difference between them in visibility, ride comfort, and driving performance was tremendous especially when the 3/4ton was equipped with a gas engine.

Based on usage and the importance of fuel economy I think a half ton is going to be better in this situation. That being said, you couldn't pay me to own another 8L90.

I would not purchase a GM truck with AFM. I’ve seen way too many engine failures. Always thought it was due to working at a Ford dealership and we got the trade ins that were problematic because they refused to buy another GM. After speaking with a former coworker who went to a GM dealership he said they fixed MANY of them with issues while still under warranty.

It almost seems like no one in here has driven a modern 3/4 ton or better...My Brother-in-law has my exact same truck in a 1/2 ton. Same year, same trim, same length and same color. The only thing better about his truck is the MPG. The ride difference is negligible. They are physically the same width and length. Driving them feels almost identical. For your use a 1/2 ton is fine for what you are going to do but the 6.0/6L90E in the 3/4 is just less problematic.
No they ride rough. We can disagree-but physics are in play. They can't tow and haul more without riding rough.

2500's are independent front suspension today for the most part, correct? That helps them ride better with a tighter turning radius. The OP doesn't seem concerned with costs, but aside from more fuel consumption, basic maintenance like brakes and tires are more expensive with a 2500.

With the hauling and towing needs the OP listed, why buy a well used ~5yr/old chevy, when for about the same cost you can get a much newer, if not brand new Ram 1500 4x4, quad cab, pentastar V6 for the same cost? That will more than cover the needs that were listed. I like GMs and Fords too, they just tend to cost more.

2500's are independent front suspension today for the most part, correct? That helps them ride better with a tighter turning radius. The OP doesn't seem concerned with costs, but aside from more fuel consumption, basic maintenance like brakes and tires are more expensive with a 2500.

With the hauling and towing needs the OP listed, why buy a well used ~5yr/old chevy, when for about the same cost you can get a much newer, if not brand new Ram 1500 4x4, quad cab, pentastar V6 for the same cost? That will more than cover the needs that were listed. I like GMs and Fords too, they just tend to cost more.
Street price for a 18 Silverado in that mileage is $36-$38K around here. For not much more money, the OP can find a new Ram such as this one:

Street price for a 18 Silverado in that mileage is $36-$38K around here. For not much more money, the OP can find a new Ram such as this one:

Yessir, that's my point exactly.

I have no preference between GM, Ford and Ram. They've all got their pros and cons. I gravitate towards Ram because the lower cost and I like the ride, comfort, etc.

Here are some advantages of the 2500HD over the 1500.

No AFM
Iron block
4.10 axle
heavier duty transmission
stronger front axle
full floating rear axle
more ground clearance
E rated tires
mechanical fan
Better engine cooling capacity (oil and coolant)
Better transmission cooling capacity
standard rear locker
much higher payload
higher towing capacity
brake rotors that look like 45 lb olympic plates

I don't know which of those are advantages in your particular situation. But if you are willing to pay at the pump, you get a far more capable vehicle that will likely last far longer than any half ton. Your engine, transmission, suspension, and brakes are all built for durability and load handling, as opposed to optimized for fuel efficiency as in the case of a 1500.

I honestly don't think it is a close call and it amazes me how many people buy 1500 trucks only to find out they either don't last or don't have the payload to handle trailers at the upper end of the towing capacity if they also have passengers in the truck. A 2500 gas truck doesn't cost that much more than a 1500 and you get an enormous amount of additional capability.

Back