Which is better Husqvarna 350 or 450 chainsaw

I cannot find the date code for the 350 but it does have the primer bulb, and it does have the decomp valve on cylinder. The 450 is a 2008 era saw. Which is better? The 350 seems to feel like it has a touch mnore power but the 450 seems like it may be just a touch more refined. I personally do not like strato carbs as there is always that slight gap at mid throttle.

Which would make a better keeper saw long term?

The 450 is a better saw in my opinion. The 350 is 45cc, the 450 is 50cc. The 350 is a touch lighter (by a few ounces) but the 450 is much easier to start with the primer bulb (usually).

The strato saws are better on fuel, and by slight gap do you mean power gap? I have a Jonsered CS2245 which is similar to the 450 and 445, and a muffler mod allows it to be plenty powerful for its size. I run my CS2245 with a 16" Total Superbar and full chisel chain with no power issues.

I mean like a 4 barrel 454 chevy, always that slight dead spot for the strato flap to open up. I just find them a little harder to tune and should the secondary linkages get a little wear they get a bit of a dead spot that the non strats never get.

They both seem to scream! How about the build quality? The 350 has the metal chain guard and the cylinder bolts on from top. 450 has the plastic cover and also the cylinder bolts from bottom.

I mean like a 4 barrel 454 chevy, always that slight dead spot for the strato flap to open up. I just find them a little harder to tune and should the secondary linkages get a little wear they get a bit of a dead spot that the non strats never get.

They both seem to scream! How about the build quality? The 350 has the metal chain guard and the cylinder bolts on from top. 450 has the plastic cover and also the cylinder bolts from bottom.
Build quality is about the same. I would keep whichever one you like running more.

Videos:

The 350 actually sound better and seems to feel like it has more power. Both of these have fresh ground chains.

350:

Just a thought, but since you are "rebuilding" these things, maybe a larger cylinder kit would work for you.

I have a few saws, but my absolute fav is my 50cc Husky 346xp with muffler mod. I simply welded a larger exhaust pipe into the muffler. It "rips" now. I'm too old for a larger saw, as I don't have the stamina to do hard work.

EDIT: There are guys who dyno the saws. The 346xp with muffler mod makes about 4HP, and about 3.5 without the mod. I don't remember for sure, but the 50cc 450 prob is spec'd at 3.2HP.

The cool thing about the 346xp is the metal crankcase.

JuXy26X.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought, but since you are "rebuilding" these things, maybe a larger cylinder kit would work for you.

I have a few saws, but my absolute fav is my 50cc Husky 346xp with muffler mod. I simply welded a larger exhaust pipe into the muffler. It "rips" now. I'm too old for a larger saw, as I don't have the stamina to do hard work.

EDIT: There are guys who dyno the saws. The 346xp with muffler mod makes about 4HP, and about 3.5 without the mod. I don't remember for sure, but the 50cc 450 prob is spec'd at 3.2HP.

The cool thing about the 346xp is the metal crankcase.

JuXy26X.jpg
I'm young, but still understand the appeal of a small lighter saw. My father has a Jonsered CS2171 with a 32" bar for the big stuff, but man that thing is heavy. I'm in decent physical shape and can only run that for an hour or so. My smaller saws I can run for a few hours.

I really like my Makita DCS5200i it is a Dolmar 52cc with a 15" Tsumura bar, plenty of torque and nice and light.

I appriciate the responses. Its funny you mentioned the 346xp of all things, I have actually been looking for one of these for this very reason. The metal crankcase means a lot for long term durability. I hear nothing be awsome things about this saw.

I am also reading and hearing that the 350 / 450 are also excellent low end home owner / small land owner type saws. Choices......choices.......

I appriciate the responses. Its funny you mentioned the 346xp of all things, I have actually been looking for one of these for this very reason. The metal crankcase means a lot for long term durability. I hear nothing be awsome things about this saw.

I am also reading and hearing that the 350 / 450 are also excellent low end home owner / small land owner type saws. Choices......choices.......
It depends a lot on what you are cutting. Smaller saws work great for homeowners, but if you are cutting bigger wood, the extra power of a 55-65cc saw makes a big difference. My personal favorite is the 50cc class of saws with a muffler mod and shorter/lighter bar. Makes a nice light zippy saw, since a big 70+cc powerhouse would just be heavy and overkill for most things I cut.

346xp I have been looking for one of these for this very reason. The metal crankcase means a lot for long term durability. I hear nothing be awsome things about this saw.
Honestly, the 346xp is no better a performer than any of the other 45cc/50cc Husky saws. The plastic crankcase ones run just as well. I also have a 20 year old 345 plastic Husky. It runs great, always has.

The 346xp does not make more power and is not lighter. But chains do last longer on it, as it has 3 rates of oil flow. High, Flood and Tsunami. It also has a fantastic corrosion prevention program, where all the bar oil leaks out by the weekend :ROFLMAO:

In the end, HP to weight is what matters to me.

As a joke, I was going to put the chain on backwards for the pic and see if anybody caught it :)

Back