Which is a better deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advanced Auto Parts has BOGO Valvoline conventional gallon jugs for $9.98 after rebate. They also have 5qts of Pennzoil YB and a Purolator oil filter for $9.98 after rebate.

Which would you go for?

Pennzoil deal. No brainer. Buy several. Call it a day.
thumbsup2.gif

If you're going to install the very cheapest oil and filter money can buy, why even bother changing your oil at all? Just top it off and forget about it. That'll save you the most money.

Originally Posted By: AllenWalker
If you're going to install the very cheapest oil and filter money can buy, why even bother changing your oil at all? Just top it off and forget about it. That'll save you the most money.

That seems a bit harsh. You can save money and still get good quality products.

Pennzoil.

Valvoline remains a great mystery to me. I've heard yeas and nays for Valv. conventional. I've heard the same for Valv. Synpower. I hear all yeas for Maxlife (dino, blend and syn). I read the Valv. Synpower advertisement where they've thrown down the gauntlet for XOM.

What I used to know, I don't know anymore.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: AllenWalker

That seems a bit harsh. You can save money and still get good quality products.

Considering how cheap most people are, my suggestion is best.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Pennzoil.

Valvoline remains a great mystery to me. I've heard yeas and nays for Valv. conventional. I've heard the same for Valv. Synpower. I hear all yeas for Maxlife (dino, blend and syn). I read the Valv. Synpower advertisement where they've thrown down the gauntlet for XOM.

The only conventional oil I trust is Havoline. It performed more like a synthetic than any other dino oil I've tried.

I have yet to hear anything negative about Havoline - except the price after they introduced the deposit shield additive (or at least marketed it). Folks I've read that are using it at reasonable OCIs are getting outstanding results.

I'm also a fan of Juan Montoya - and he has good things to say about Havoline :)

I have yet to hear anything negative about Havoline - except the price after they introduced the deposit shield additive (or at least marketed it). Folks I've read that are using it at reasonable OCIs are getting outstanding results.

I'm also a fan of Juan Montoya - and he has good things to say about Havoline :)

Don't listen to me. I'll lead you astray.

I am back. The guy let me dump 4 gallons of used oil into the tank.

I got 5qts Pennzoil YB 5w30 and a Purolator oil filter....for a $10 oil change w/ an extra quart for backup.
grin2.gif

BTW, what's wrong with buying cheap motor oil that's name brand? It's not like it's a no-name brand. Why pay more than you have to?

I'd rather support AAP than Walmart. I even got a better deal at AAP than Walmart because I got the free oil filter.

Walmart = $10.97 5qts Pennzoil + $2 oil filter = $13
AAP = $9.98 for 5qts Pennzoil + filter

Who says Walmart has the best prices.
cool.gif

Last edited:
8 Quarts of Valvoline for $9.98 not a bad price. But I hate getting odd amounts of oil with the 4QT VS 5QT jugs.

Originally Posted By: steveh
8 Quarts of Valvoline for $9.98 not a bad price. But I hate getting odd amounts of oil with the 4QT VS 5QT jugs.

I think he meant 4 quarts for 9.98 after rebate. If it is 8 quarts for 9.98 after rebate then it is the better deal. Cheap filters can be had for $3 or so, and if you are lucky, 1c after rebate sometimes (Pepboys, but usually out of stock with 1 hour of the store open).

Yes, I meant you buy a 4 quart jug of Valvoline and you get another free...for $9.89

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Who says Walmart has the best prices.

GMFan, WM is 'everyday low pricing'... not best price on deals.

And I think it's generally true on oil.

There is something to be said for ..."walk in, buy it, no rebates".

But I watch for dual rebate deals so I pay little or make money. (since I'm a heavy user...) Even for me it makes sense sometimes to pay full 'everyday low' price.

Pennzoil.

What did you hear negative about valvoline? I've heard all good things.

Last edited:
Advanced Auto Parts has buy one 4 quart jug of Valvoline for $9.98 and get the 2nd 4 quart jug free by mail in rebate that is $1.25 a quart when said and done. Limit 2 deals per customer. I have used Valvoline for the past 22 years and love it. 1991 Nissan pickup 225,000 miles and still purring. Will go 300,000 plus guaranteed. I am like Bill in Utah just change the oil is the ticket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back