Which fluid would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all... I'm just getting done with the break in period for my Strange S60 rear end in my TransAm. The rear came with Lucas 75w-140 sythetic oil and that is what is recommended by Strange. I'm not a fan of Lucas and would like to use something else. Let me hear your opinions and also would you go with 75w-140 or 75w-90? This is a weekend cruiser/hot rod only.
Thanks!

Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140.It doesn't get any better than severe gear for gear lube.
Strange built it and must have a reason for recommending that viscosity.

I would not stray from their recommended viscosity. Pick a brand of your choice. Mobil 1, Schaeffer's, Redline, Amsoil...etc. Lots of companies make a quality 75w140 gear lube.

I assume this car gets some hard launches on occasion? It may not be a bad idea to give your new axle a few short oil changes to get the break in material out.

What gear lube do you use in the Dodge? If you use (or can use) 75w140, it might be worth pricing out a pail.

Did you go with the True Trac, the Eaton Posi, or a spool/locker??

I was also considering the S60, but I want to be able to use Auto Tech's new Wave Trac road race diff, which is ONLY made for the 9s, and the 12 bolts.
wink.gif

leave that lucas gear oil in til warranty over, its good oil , I use it, and many other use it also on ls1tech. it help run cool and quiet, I have no have any problem in mine, I plan to leave it on for 2 years.

Can't leave the Lucas in because I have to change oil at 500 miles per brake in recommendations of Strange. Went with Valvoline 75w/140 synthetic because that is all I could find on such short notice (long story)...
I'm running the True Trac, btw.
Thanks for all replies...

the true trac is an awesome diff for everything but hardcore offroad and drag racing.....enjoy screaming out of corners
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: trik396
Can't leave the Lucas in because I have to change oil at 500 miles per brake in recommendations of Strange. Went with Valvoline 75w/140 synthetic because that is all I could find on such short notice (long story)...
I'm running the True Trac, btw.
Thanks for all replies...

U made good choice, I do use vavoline with no worried.

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
the true trac is an awesome diff for everything but hardcore offroad and drag racing.....enjoy screaming out of corners
smile.gif

It is a blast... this is a street car but I'd like to run her once or twice to see what kind of numbers she'll do..

Redline or Amsoil are both very reputable in gear oils.. I just put Redline 75W90 in the rear end of my 2500HD and it's smooth as silk.. I made the mistake of allowing the shop that installed my Mag-Hytech to put 85w140 in there and it was like molasses and my mpg went down at least 10%..

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
smile.gif

It could use a little more bias (like the Torsen T2R has) for hardcore "screaming out of corners", or apex exits on sticky tires, but generally, yes, it IS one of the best street/compromise diffs out there.
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Hotrod? Hard launches? High shock loading. I'd actually run a cocktail in there. I'd go with a 50/50 mix of Redline Shockproof (probably the heavy stuff), and Redline 75W-140.

Originally Posted By: Tremo
Hotrod? Hard launches? High shock loading. I'd actually run a cocktail in there. I'd go with a 50/50 mix of Redline Shockproof (probably the heavy stuff), and Redline 75W-140.

Hotrod and some hard launches... more hard shifting... fun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back