Which fluid for my stick shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the manual for my ramcharger and it says i can use engine oil or gear oil in the np 435 tranny. If temps are above 32 then use straight 50 weight motor oil. If below 32 use 30 weight motor oil. If temps are -10 or above use 90 weight gear oil. if temps are above 90 then use 140 weight gear oil. Hmm i thought all maual trannys used gear oil but that is not the case. That is quite a spread in viscosity for lubricants in any application. 90 wt at 0 degrees would be very thick till the tranny warms it up where as 30 wt would be ok at 0 but would thin out as the tranny warms up. What is the deal?

uhm. There is quite a bit of unexplained overlap. I guess it's just up to you if you want to go with a gear oil or motor oil, then choose the appropriate grade.

I would think a gear oil would be 'better' since it would have more EP/AW compounds suited to gears and low speed shafts (yeah, i know the input shaft is still engine RPM).

Only thing i can assume is they expect the 90wt gear oil to be a 75w-90 or the like. Thus, it will be slightly thinner at lower temps than a straight 30wt motor oil. Still strange.

ferb!

Hi,
where an engine oil is recommended such as you describe Mobil's Mobiltrans SHC30 or SHC50 make an excellent choice. Both have a pour point to -51C

Such products are widely used in the trucking industry in heavy duty RoadRanger gearboxes

Castrol's Syndrive 50E is a wonderful product too

Many people use a synthetic engine oil of the approriate grade in these circumstances

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back