Which filter is better for longer winter drains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wix/Napa Gold, or Pure One? Which one will go farther with the best performance? This is for both of my vehicles coming up this winter using synthetic oil, probably QSUD or Castrol Edge.

They both have similar performance at 7.5k OCI. The P1 is a little bit more efficient and can be had at a cheaper price usually. Just check the bottom to make sure there isn't any spray grit on the bottom. Get which ever one is more readily available or the cheaper of the two for a 7.5k and less oci. Both will do a excellent job. If everything was equal I'd go p1 due to the grip for easy on and off.

Last edited:
You won't tell a practical difference. You could run a test by doing UOA with particle count... I'd look at materials quality (gaskets, valves) rather than anything else.

Winter Use?
A) Wix has base end bypass.

B ) I would run a med/low efficiecny filter in the Winter. If you like Purolator, run their synthetic filter as its high cap low-e.

C) I would not run (the otherwise excellent) Wix/NAPA Gold in any small form factors - not enough room in the can for the glass-paper blend media area - and most PCMO spin-ons are too small as-is.

IME, aftermarket you want EITHER Champion labs DELCO non-ecore filter the Japanese Denso Foam media 90915-10003 for the Prius engine for best performance - nothing else.
Sorry - No experience with the Hyundai.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Winter Use?
A) Wix has base end bypass.

B ) I would run a med/low efficiecny filter in the Winter. If you like Purolator, run their synthetic filter as its high cap low-e.

C) I would not run (the otherwise excellent) Wix/NAPA Gold in any small form factors - not enough room in the can for the glass-paper blend media area - and most PCMO spin-ons are too small as-is.

IME, aftermarket you want EITHER Champion labs DELCO non-ecore filter the Japanese Denso Foam media 90915-10003 for the Prius engine for best performance - nothing else.
Sorry - No experience with the Hyundai.

What is (B.) based on.. seems kinda random.

C. would depend on the specific app. Thats kind of a useless blanket statement that may not even apply to the OP's question.

Last edited:
Based on cost and efficiency.....go with PureOne.

Both will do a 7500 OCI with ease...but as another poster said....you and your engine won't notice a practical difference.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately ARCO I am not willing to buy more filters, I only have the choice of QS, Purolator Classic, P1, or Wix. That's what's in my closet and I have way too many filters so it's gotta be one of those.

I generally run the QS and the Puro Classic during the warm months, and P1 during the winter, but I was curious as to if the Wix would be better than the P1 but it appears that it won't make a difference and t hey both will be fine for 7500. Am I right?

Originally Posted By: Rand
What is (B.) based on.. seems kinda random.

I think he's pointing to, generally, a better flowing filter, for a longer OCI. The Germans have done that for some time already with their fleece filters. They may not get the 99.9% efficiency at some low micron level, but they will handle an outrageously long OCI without clogging up.

And his point C is well taken, too, considering that something with a thread end bypass and sized like the Wix 51365 has significantly less filter media than the dome end bypass Bosch 3300, for instance. On a short OCI, it's not likely an issue.

Quite frankly, I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing/planning right now. P1 or Wix, perhaps favoring P1 especially in smaller filter sizes because of increased media area. Main consideration in winter is silicone adbv for durability in winter time, which both have. And, the filters you mentioned have separate metal bypass, in other words, no combo valve, so no worries with 7500 oci imo.

Hi,
zerosoma - The latest synthtic media (such as Synteq) filters have great flow charcteristics. IMO you should consider this aspect when chosing a filter for use in cold start situations with very low ambient temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back