Which CV Boot to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '99 Nissan Maxima needs its Driver Side, Outer CV Boot replaced due to a tear.

I'm able to get a Nissan OEM boot, clamps and grease that comes with it for $42.49 including tax.

My local Advance Auto Parts sells Beck Arnley boots for $11.99. I know Beck/Arnley usually sells high quality oem parts that are sometimes the same as the genuine parts in a different box.

Should I go with OEM or aftermarket?

I remember when I had my Subaru Legacy that was notorious for CV Boot failures, the aftermarket boots would never last as long as the genuine Subaru boots.

My biggest question would be how tough is it to re-do? If simple, try to save a few dollars. If tough, better to guarantee to do it right the first time...

In the past, I've used OEM (NTK), Beck-Arnley and EMPI before and they are all fine.

I typically repack/replace CV boots every 7~9yrs as a precautionary measure and would usually get rid of the car before the 3rd round of CV boot replacement.

Virtually, all CVs on all my family cars are originals.

Q.

The easier way is to get a reman axle and most parts stores wil tell you this is the easier way to do it over replacing the boots.Most shop these days do not replace the boot,replace the axle with a reman since it is not worth replacing just the boot

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
The easier way is to get a reman axle and most parts stores wil tell you this is the easier way to do it over replacing the boots.Most shop these days do not replace the boot,replace the axle with a reman since it is not worth replacing just the boot

for once i agree with the young lad. when your labor is over $100 an hour its cheaper to replace the axle, plus some have a lifetime warranty.

I'm doing this myself. Buying just the boot is less expensive than the re-manufactured axle.

One of the better things I've bought was a Flexx boot which allows you to stretch the boot over the axle without removing it. All you need is a funnel, hot water to loosen up the boot, and some lube to put on the funnel to make it slide on/off. Check Amazon, then see a how to video on youtube by searching "CV BOOT MADE EASY". $22 shipped.

If just replacing the boot, get good quality. Not worthwhile to save a few dollars considering removal effort. Few more questions:

- how long has it been torn?

- how much extra for reman axle?

Originally Posted By: NJC
If just replacing the boot, get good quality. Not worthwhile to save a few dollars considering removal effort. Few more questions:

- how long has it been torn?

- how much extra for reman axle?

I don't have an answer to the length of the time the boot has been torn.

Online it looks like a reman axle assembly is around $100 for an aftermarket one.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I'm doing this myself. Buying just the boot is less expensive than the re-manufactured axle.

By how much? On my civic, shafts were about $70. I replaced the whole shaft instead of just the boot.

Man, i dont know why you are all recommending replacing factory axles with cheap, reground reman chinese [censored]. I went through like 5 of these in a VW i had within 100k. Forget a lifetime warranty, its NOT worth pulling it all apart again in 20k because your [censored] reground 70 dollar axle starts making snapping sounds or vibrating at certain RPM. I tried all different types of brands.

Raxles is a good company for remans, or try a junkyard and get a low mile OEM. Or just buy the OEM cv joint kit and put a new joint in it.

Is there a need for an alignment after a driver side, outer CV boot replacement?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back