Which are the Top three 5w40 Syn. Oil

0C is meaningless between an oil with a 0W and a 5W winter rating. You must go to temperatures around -35 or -40 to see a clear difference.

Would you explain more?

Isn't the Shell Helix product readily available there in Egypt? That is one of the best motor oils on the market carrying multiple difficult manufacturer approvals. You'd be hard pressed to find anything that is better for your use.

it's available indeed.

I don't know what's the best, but out of the three I've used in that list (Castrol Edge, Shell Ultra and Mobil 1 all 5W40 except Mobil which was 0w40) the Castrol seems to make my 2017 Hyundai Tucson 2.0l sound the smoothest. Could be placebo or could be fact. My observation.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I suspect all on the list will perform relatively the same.

Agreed.

Liqui Moly, Total, and Motul are primarily sold online on the US so I have no experience with them.

Liqui Moly is actually available at most NAPA's last time I checked...

0W & 5W viscosity rating are for climates subject regularly to cold ambient temperatures. Egypt is not such a climate.

The viscosity difference between 0W & 5W is meaningful only for cold cranking capability for an engine in the very coldest climates. The amount of VII additive needed to supply such a wide viscosity range should only be used where in the world it is actually needed. You can use a much higher viscosity for the winter spec, if at all. You may even be able to use a mono-viscosity grade for your climate.

Back