Which are the Top three 5w40 Syn. Oil

I live in egypt and i need to choose the best 5w40 engine oil.

we have here:

- Castrol EDGE
- Mobil 1
- Liqui Moly Top tec
- Valvoline
- Motul
- Mannol
- Shell Hilux Ultra
- Wolf
- Total Quartz
- Bizol

all are fully synthetic with 10.000 km/12 months change interval.

so i need your recommendation for the top 3 brands to choose from (best is first from your prospective).

Also when i use oil selectors in UK for the engine (Chery M11 2.0L) they suggest 5w40 oil while if i use then in middle east they suggest 10w40 oil. why is that?? is it because of the hot weather in egypt?

i didn't find any information in car manual for oil specs.

I suspect all on the list will perform relatively the same.

As for your 5w40 vs 10w40... Yes, it's because Egypt doesn't have the same low temps as the UK.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

As for your 5w40 vs 10w40... Yes, it's because Egypt doesn't have the same low temps as the UK.

so, is there any suggestions from your side for the brands??

If you choose their line that meets your vehicle recommendation, any should be fine.
Shell, Mobil (Exxon), and Castrol (BP) are the big names worldwide I believe.

First off you're in Egypt, so, Salam Alaykum.

In terms of oil, I have never heard of Wolf, Mannol and Bizol so those three I can't speak on.

When it comes to Liquimoly and Motul, those are more boutique oils. Smaller companies who jack up the prices of their consumer oils due to the name and lack of distribution channels. Are the good oils? Yes, but they are the same as the more generic synthetic brands when it comes to daily drivers. However motul 300v is a fantastic oil but it's more geared towards racing. LM is a decent oil but posts similar results as Mobil, Shell etc. Save your money, don't go for these.

That leaves us with Shell, M1, Cas and Total and Valvoline

All five of these are easily accessible and perform great, check out the UOAs section here to get a better idea. Of course how you drive matters as well. I think your once a year oil change interval is just fine even in the Egyptian heat. However I would recommend changing your engine filter once a year or every two years. I know it can get dusty over there and other contaminants are in the air as well.

My top three, based on UOAs here and days sheets would be: Shell Helix, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, Total and valvoline. This is again based of what I've read, used and some subjective and objective variables. Honestly you can't go wrong with the first 4. If they all meet 229.5, A40, 502 and 508 specs, their differences in performances is like splitting hairs.

Originally Posted by Omar_Eltahan

I like Shell/Mobil 1 and then Castrol as No 2, These oils are relatively inexpensive in the United States. I've only owned european cars for the past 20+ years so I only bought oils based upon approvals (ex, Mercedes Benz 229.50) and then price.

Liqui Moly, Total, and Motul are primarily sold online on the US so I have no experience with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Averroes
First off you're in Egypt, so, Salam Alaykum.

In terms of oil, I have never heard of Wolf, Mannol and Bizol so those three I can't speak on.

When it comes to Liquimoly and Motul, those are more boutique oils. Smaller companies who jack up the prices of their consumer oils due to the name and lack of distribution channels. Are the good oils? Yes, but they are the same as the more generic synthetic brands when it comes to daily drivers. However motul 300v is a fantastic oil but it's more geared towards racing. LM is a decent oil but posts similar results as Mobil, Shell etc. Save your money, don't go for these.

That leaves us with Shell, M1, Cas and Total and Valvoline

All five of these are easily accessible and perform great, check out the UOAs section here to get a better idea. Of course how you drive matters as well. I think your once a year oil change interval is just fine even in the Egyptian heat. However I would recommend changing your engine filter once a year or every two years. I know it can get dusty over there and other contaminants are in the air as well.

My top three, based on UOAs here and days sheets would be: Shell Helix, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, Total and valvoline. This is again based of what I've read, used and some subjective and objective variables. Honestly you can't go wrong with the first 4. If they all meet 229.5, A40, 502 and 508 specs, their differences in performances is like splitting hairs.

Wa alikom Alsalam,

thank you for your detailed answer, it really helped me a lot.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
If you choose their line that meets your vehicle recommendation, any should be fine.
Shell, Mobil (Exxon), and Castrol (BP) are the big names worldwide I believe.

appreciated
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Omar_Eltahan

I like Shell/Mobil 1 and then Castrol as No 2, These oils are relatively inexpensive in the United States. I've only owned european cars for the past 20+ years so I only bought oils based upon approvals (ex, Mercedes Benz 229.50) and then price.

Liqui Moly, Total, and Motul are primarily sold online on the US so I have no experience with them.

Great. thank you.

I don't think the car will care whether you put the top three or the top ten.
It does not have any soul.
As long as the oil meets the correct certification specified by the car you put into.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
I don't think the car will care whether you put the top three or the top ten.
It does not have any soul.
As long as the oil meets the correct certification specified by the car you put into.

I will pay any way, and most of them are close price wise, so why not to pick the best ??

owner's manual should talk about engine oil spec and recommendation. some cars just specify a simple API Sx or GF-5 ... Sounds like yours maybe like that.

I would use 10W with that temp range and try Shell first, if it didn't taste good
grin2.gif
, I will then try Edge and then flip a coin for Valvoline and M1.

Try a couple of them and see which one works better for that car.
See how the car runs or sound and check oil consumption, etc. ...

Originally Posted by OilUzer
owner's manual should talk about engine oil spec and recommendation. some cars just specify a simple API Sx or GF-5 ... Sounds like yours maybe like that.

I would use 10W with that temp range and try Shell first, if it didn't taste good
grin2.gif
, I will then try Edge and then flip a coin for Valvoline and M1.

Try a couple of them and see which one works better for that car.
See how the car runs or sound and check oil consumption, etc. ...

the 1.6L version of this engine specified as 10w40 SJ (Engine technology is back to 2006) without any other information. (no manual found online for 2.0L engine)
all oil selectors for well known brands suggested 10w40 for the 1.6L engine.

when i replaced the engine with 2.0L version oil selectors suggested 5w40. but when i choose middle east as region for castrol's selector it suggested 10w40 as first choice then 5w40 as second choice (its UK region suggested 5w40 first then 10w40

The number before the W in this case 5 or 10 specified the viscosity range when the oil is cold.
5 is thinner than 10

The number after the W in this case are both 40 specified the viscosity range when the oil is hot.
So for practically it is in the same range of viscosity when the oil is in the hot range.

I suspect that the climate is different between England (UK) and Egypt.
From my knowledge, Egypt is way hotter and never gets cold to subzero aka below 0 degrees celsius (although I can be wrong).
While UK, in some area can go close to 0 degrees celcius.

That is why the 5W is suggested first in UK and 10W is suggested first in Egypt.
Again, for all practical purposes, it does not matter what you pick.

It is the general climate difference may require different recommendation.

That is just my opinion based on reading.

I would be more worried about "counterfeit" oils more than the brand name in your setting.
Mobil1 is always a solid choice.

Total Quartz 5W-40 is on the thick side and i suppose it is everywhere and the price is good.

I would look at 15w40 diesel engine oils like Mobil, Shell or Motul. The reason is those oils have strong detergents and fewer viscosity index improvers which avoids shear and deposits in the combustion chamber.

In hot climates, I actually favor straight weight oils She'll Rotella SAE 30 or 40. Chevron Delo in straight weights are great oils too.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
The number before the W in this case 5 or 10 specified the viscosity range when the oil is cold.
5 is thinner than 10

The number after the W in this case are both 40 specified the viscosity range when the oil is hot.
So for practically it is in the same range of viscosity when the oil is in the hot range.

I suspect that the climate is different between England (UK) and Egypt.
From my knowledge, Egypt is way hotter and never gets cold to subzero aka below 0 degrees celsius (although I can be wrong).
While UK, in some area can go close to 0 degrees celcius.

That is why the 5W is suggested first in UK and 10W is suggested first in Egypt.
Again, for all practical purposes, it does not matter what you pick.

It is the general climate difference may require different recommendation.

That is just my opinion based on reading.

I got the idea ..

had chat with Castrol UK Tech. Support engineer about 5w40 vs 10w40 for my engine noting that Castrol 5w40 in egypt available in EDGE family only (Fully synthetic) while 10w40 is Magnatec (Semi Syn.) and he replyed just as you did exactly. weather difference is the reason. though he recommended to use 5w40 in my case. as edge provides higher protection & better technology than Magnatec.

so what do you think (regardless the brand) 5w40 or 10w40 ?

Note: i was using Castrol Magnatec 10w40 with the 1.6L version of the engine (both UK & Middle East "no selector for egypt" suggested 10w40 for the 1.6L engine)

and what if as Castrol middle east is in United arab emirates and both temperature & humidity there are much more higher than egypt, that's the reason for the 10w40 suggestion in the current engine??

noting that middle east includes Jordan & Syria for example and they are up to north & they getting the zero degree (may e less) easily in winter. they have snow & ice in winter.

0C is meaningless between an oil with a 0W and a 5W winter rating. You must go to temperatures around -35 or -40 to see a clear difference.

Isn't the Shell Helix product readily available there in Egypt? That is one of the best motor oils on the market carrying multiple difficult manufacturer approvals. You'd be hard pressed to find anything that is better for your use.

Back