Which AGM battery for my boat

A local battery store has the following. The Northstar seems like a good price. I thought Northstar batteries were the same or more than an Odyssey.

I can get an East Penn AGM at NAPA for around $220 when they have a 20% off sale.

Precision brand #27-AGM $219.88 with $24.00 Core
NorthStar brand #NSB-AGM27 $289.95 with $26.00 Core
Lifeline brand #GPL-27T $319.95 with $26.00 Core
Discover brand #EV27A-A $340.71 with $19.00 Core
Odyssey brand #ODX-AGM27M $396.99 with $26.00 Core

A local battery store has the following. The Northstar seems like a good price. I thought Northstar batteries were the same or more than an Odyssey.

I can get an East Penn AGM at NAPA for around $220 when they have a 20% off sale.

No Matter which one you buy MAKE SURE it's a marine battery, I don't think NorthStar makes them, but I do know that Odyssey does.
I doubt that you'll find marine batteries at an auto store, you may have to go to a boat supplier or chandler.

What does the super expensive battery do that a $70 Walmart marine battery doenst? Upstate NY? This is a seasonal use item.

Too much thought about AGM batteries in recent times. Me? I'd get one from NAPA if it has a good date on it.
Finding a recent date on a marine size battery this time of year may be difficult in some places.

Get the largest agm that will fit in your battery compartment. Group 31 if it will fit. Is the battery for a trolling motor?

West Marine sells East Penn batteries, at least the ones they sell today. Probably the same battery but more money than one from NAPA also made by East Penn.
Thanks. Store brand batteries may have different suppliers regionally....I was a bit surprised when I learned that. WM may be a bit small for that though.

Get the largest agm that will fit in your battery compartment. Group 31 if it will fit. Is the battery for a trolling motor?
The batteries start the engine or power accessories like refrig or now thruster. No trolling motor.

I have battery trays for group 27 footprint.

The hands down best battery I’ve owned judged by its full life was a marine battery by Trojan. It was a ruddy brown, flooded wet cell. Lasted forever even though it was not well cared for. Overcharging from a faulty onboard boat charger finally killed it.

The batteries start the engine or power accessories like refrig or now thruster. No trolling motor.

I have battery trays for group 27 footprint.
Ok. The group 31 will last longer on, and off, the water 'cause it's a bigger battery. The height is usually the issue when fitting a 31 so check and see if you can fit a 31 size. if you can fit a 31, that's your best buy. Agm is the right way to go. Hope this helps.

Back