Where to buy Shell Spirax 75w-140?

Looking to get some Synthetic Shell Spirax in 75w-140.

Why? Because I am putting together a Ford 10.5 rear axle for my superduty and wanting to use a Detroit true trac. My diff is spec'ed from Ford for 75w140 synthetic.

As I think many of you know Eaton is very weird about fluids with the true track diff. I was talking to their tech line the other day and was told they approved Shell Spirax synthetic for use. It's their only approved synthetic oil for use with the true trac.

Problem is, either my google foo is weak or I can't find anywhere that sells it in the US.

Help?

How about these guys? I assume 20 qts?

I’ve got 4 quarts of this

Attachments

• 8E0ECD74-A54A-46B9-B9BB-DBE601EC2D75.jpeg
    8E0ECD74-A54A-46B9-B9BB-DBE601EC2D75.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 38
  • B17823E5-30D9-44D8-88E4-E5DA1456CEAB.jpeg
    B17823E5-30D9-44D8-88E4-E5DA1456CEAB.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 39
How about these guys? I assume 20 qts?

Well, I was hoping to buy a little smaller quantity, but I guess a lifetime supply is better than nothing.

Good find, thank you

I’ve got 4 quarts of this

I need the synthetic 75w-140, that stuff is a little thick for me.

Well, I was hoping to buy a little smaller quantity, but I guess a lifetime supply is better than nothing.

Good find, thank you

I need the synthetic 75w-140, that stuff is a little thick for me.
Before ordering, I would try to contact a local Shell distributor. I am not sure the Spirax you need comes in smaller amounts, but I would at least ask a local guy about the possibility.

Nice that the one approved fluid is unobtainium. I assumed all 75w-140's were synthetic? I'm not that up on my gear oil knowledge..

That was my same reaction. Of all the tons of different synthetic gear lubes they could have tested and approved, they do the one that is not really sold in the market that they sell their diff's into.

I understand how a helical diff works and how different fluids can affect their operation, but come on guys...

How weird they are with fluid has to affect their sales numbers, you would think they would want to sell more of their product.

I keep thinking maybe I should just put an ARB in it instead and not fuss with this.

M1 75-140 should do the job and can be found at local AZ or WM. Ran that in 454 vette with Hypoid diff no issues.

They need friction to provide more torque... So, Detroit is under the 1980's thinking that synthetic oil is too slippery.... Use a gear oil without pre-dosed LS additives. If you use LS additives, you might reduce its capability a little so you won't get the "up to 3.5 times more torque to high traction wheel"

If you don't mind loosing the "up to" marketing by a few or several tenths, then just use any full synthetic 75w140.

With the ol' Gleasons, we'd just tap the brake pedal to friction preload the diff for more locking. Same idea can be used with the Truetrac, Quaife, Torsens......

Are you planning on a fancy diff cover? Definitely worth reading/watching the Gale Banks 'marketing' on their covers.....

Redline makes a 75w140 without LS additives
LE 9920 Synolec is another
Ford's 75w140 doesn't have LS additive

No comment on the idiocracy of recommending a fluid that isn't widely available in all markets :rolleyes:

I would recommend a VERY short 1st gear oil change interval..... to remove run-in or break-in metals/swarf from these gear differentials..... and I would recommend a couple thousand miles at most for the 1st interval.

Attachments

• eaton-truetrac-differential-brochure-en.pdf
    469.8 KB · Views: 8
They need friction to provide more torque... So, Detroit is under the 1980's thinking that synthetic oil is too slippery.... Use a gear oil without pre-dosed LS additives. If you use LS additives, you might reduce its capability a little so you won't get the "up to 3.5 times more torque to high traction wheel"

If you don't mind loosing the "up to" marketing by a few or several tenths, then just use any full synthetic 75w140.

With the ol' Gleasons, we'd just tap the brake pedal to friction preload the diff for more locking. Same idea can be used with the Truetrac, Quaife, Torsens......

Are you planning on a fancy diff cover? Definitely worth reading/watching the Gale Banks 'marketing' on their covers.....

No comment on the idiocracy of recommending a fluid that isn't widely available in all markets :rolleyes:

I would recommend a VERY short 1st gear oil change interval..... to remove run-in or break-in metals/swarf from these gear differentials..... and I would recommend a couple thousand miles at most for the 1st interval.

Agreed.

Being a powertrain engineer myself and understanding how complicated it is to hit performance/durability/etc. targets with such a wide range of applications, duty cycles, lubricants, manufacturing/assembly tolerance stackups, etc. I very much like to stick to something that is OEM approved in these situations.

Given my profession, I love second guessing company's design choices and recommendations, but the fact of the matter is it's impossible to be able for us regular joes to do all the testing and validation needed to pick an optimized solution. With all that said, it has been very frustrating talking to Eaton about this. They are clearly reading from a page and don't really understand their differential, so while this is a situation I don't want to second guess the OEM, it is hard not to because they seem to really be determined to put their ignorance on display. I have worked with some brilliant Eaton engineers, so I know they as a company posses the knowledge to sort this out, they must just not care.

Funny you mention motorcraft and Redline oils, those are two I pulled data sheets on before I talked to Eaton because they lacked friction modifier and the high level specifications looked reasonable. Interesting comment the tech guy made on my last phone call was that the redline gear oil was a complete no go and would destroy the diff very quickly. When asked why, there was a lot of hand waving about molecules in the redline oil that stick to the surface of the gears and allow them to spin until they burn them self out. While it's entirely possible redline oil isn't the best for this diff, it took some effort not to laugh at this caricature of an imaginary situation.

Good info !!!👍

It's nearly impossible to find Shell Spirax or any kind here in the USA in consumer use containers.

I've tried getting Spirax S3 G80, Spirax S4 G 75w-90, and Spirax S6 GXME 75-80 (all GL-4 spec)
and only can be found in all other markets around the world.

What a joke.

Back