Where does one learn to fix a BMW?

I like German cars and would have no problem owning a BMW. But I feel a need to post this video.

I am not for or against BMW however that person was not very articulate on why they are difficult to repair/diagnose. Or so long winded his message is lost unfortunately .

My first thought when I read the topic was:

Step 1 - Go here:
1668047020096.png

Step 2 - Call Ice-T and get a warranty.

Last edited:
Legit question. I read all the time on how working on BMW's is harder or at least different, you know remove the engine to change the air filter, etc. I have worked on a lot of things, but never a German car. It intrigues me. So where do I start?

Is there a place to get a FSM without spending a million dollars?

Is there a youtube series that is accurate?

Which model(s) would be a good place to start.

If you were going to buy your first BMW with the intention of it being a hands on tutorial, which would it be?

I know this is pretty open ended, but any knowledgeable advice is appreciated.
Any updates on this endeavor?

Auto mechanical is all similar, its the crappy electronics in the German cars that is the huge issue.
And the strange e torx bolts, and the intake manifold has to come off for a starter. On a bmw an ounce of preventative maintenance will save you buckets of money, but if you ignore something, that might be the end for your wallet. Don't ignore the timing chain rattle, or the weird shifts, or the dripping coolant. You'll regret it.

Legit question. I read all the time on how working on BMW's is harder or at least different, you know remove the engine to change the air filter, etc. I have worked on a lot of things, but never a German car. It intrigues me. So where do I start?

Is there a place to get a FSM without spending a million dollars?

Is there a youtube series that is accurate?

Which model(s) would be a good place to start.

If you were going to buy your first BMW with the intention of it being a hands on tutorial, which would it be?

I know this is pretty open ended, but any knowledgeable advice is appreciated.
A coworker has 2008 BMW and little struggle working on it. It might be harder on newer stuff but they are not anything crazy except his with afterthought AWD .

They're not free. They are paid subscriptions, but very affordable since short-term options are available. But you really need to invest in an ICOM if you want any shot of doing reflashes.
There are pirated copies out there that can be download for free. Go to bimmerforums and search threads about ISTA in which Bali has contributed. Bali knows EVERYTHING about the software tools.

If you spend time in Germany or with Germans you will understand they have little tolerance for not doing things the RIGHT way. I've owned over 20-something cars, and quite a few of them were 6-cylinder BMWs- I've never really experienced the misery people talk about online regarding the brand but here are a few things I think help:

1) BMW does 6 cylinders exceptionally well, for the most part, try to stick with those engines and ideally a manual transmission. Right there you should have a very robust drivetrain. The ZF8 though is a great transmission alternative and their Getrag DCT's are pretty reliable.

2) German cars generally use more environmentally friendly plastic in the engine bay, so treat cooling systems as maintenance. 7-10 years give or take. This is a classic example of how being proactive instead of reactive will save you A TON. Family friend ignored my advice and blew their M62 V8 on a road trip in their 2001 740i- that was an expensive lesson for them.

3) Only use Original Equipment/Genuine BMW parts, if you do research you can find the cheaper version of the original equipment part typically with the BMW logo scratched off. This is another area where I think people unknowingly suffer, they take their car to a mediocre shop that uses the cheapest OEM parts (and there are plenty of crap OEM parts) which results in continuous problems.

4) BMW's aren't Toyotas. They aren't built for whatever fluid works, hit-and-miss servicing, and general appliance usage. Also, service the transmission and differential(s) even though most newer ones don't mention it in the service guide.

5) Don't buy a crappy example, it will burn you badly. Also, having a local indie shop that REALLY knows its stuff makes your life much easier. I'm fortunate to have a friend who owns a predominantly BMW shop (though they work on everything), and he is like Rain Man when it comes to knowing every issue, every part change, which part year to use or not to use, etc. If you don't have that then online is your next best bet, but I also see a lot of incorrect info too, so there is a bit of a learning curve.

2) German cars generally use more environmentally friendly plastic in the engine bay,
Yes they do and mice and rodents just love that plastic. Oh and don't forget about their famous wiring that has all the insulation just falling off (Mercedes), most have found that wires under the hood with no insulation can cause huge expensive problems.
Plastic? So lets guess what else under the hood is plastic??? Oh yeah the cracking timing chain guides and slipped chains the $ damage.
My gripe about them is all the cheap materials they use to build engines and transmissions, and then they ask a price like it is a Caterpillar tractor or Peterbuilt truck. And let us not forget about the famous BMW engine bearing problems.

Back