Where can I find a 4K laptop with DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a good sized 15" or 17", not too heavy, 4K laptop with an optical drive. I've looked at Alienware and others with no luck.

It's a work related requirement, as my wiring diagrams are no longer printed. I've found that the diagrams are so complex, a 1080 display is unreadable.

I can use an external drive, as I'm doing now, however USB power requirements cause other problems.

For example, while loading aircraft software from the external DVD drive, the connection to the aircraft is via Lantap. Which is powered by, you guessed it, 2 USB ports. Leading to external drive glitches. Not a good thing when loading aircraft operational software on a fly by wire aircraft.

One of my aircraft has a dedicated "Toughbook" with DVD drive. It's 1080 display is absolutely unreadable on wiring diagrams, as the menu takes up 1/3 the page. While loading software and wiring diagrams might seem separate issues, they are not. As the reason for loading new software is often related to wiring changes, and or troubleshooting.

Any thoughts?

-1x-1.jpg

af0dda7441ee25e41d48dbec144118a5.jpg

PilatusReport_Controls.jpg

ameliaearhart_shotbytamarawilson_4122_0.jpg

And that is Ameila-Rose Earhart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Cant you put your DVD file on a thumb drive?
I imagine you want a Lenovo, ToughBook... See if this laptop fits the bill.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834233182

Yes, quite often the software can be copied to a thumb drive. However, Honeywell specifically prohibits doing so with the operational software. Being a type certificated aircraft, because of that prohibition, I can't legally do it.

Furthermore, it's not just one disc. I have 8 aircraft, each with an ever-changing stack of 12-15 discs. It would simply waste my time.

In any case, thank you for the suggestions! Any preference between the two? Which might be better. A good video card is always important to me.

Last edited:
Not sure about 4K, but Retina display MacBook Pro in 15" would be my pick. Pull the files off the dvd and keep them on the HD.

Higher resolution requires more power to drive it. I've found that the mbp has great battery life and a beautiful screen for manipulating ultra-high resolution (36MP) photography.

Toughbook (Panasonic) Doesn't seem make anything over 14" or anything 4K.

Toshiba did make a 4K 15" with an internal drive, but it appears to be discontinued.

I'd probably just velcro the external DVD and perhaps a USB hub to the lid of whatever 15" 4k laptop otherwise suited my needs... Most of the external DVD drive supply cables I've seen lately have a pass through for another device... though surely there is a limit to the current...

Sounds like there could be a market here that someone could step into...

The MCDUs in the 650 look very familiar. Primus Epic 2?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maximus
The MCDUs in the 650 look very familiar. Primus Epic 2?

Exactly correct. The very best 1986 had to offer! It's not that bad, maybe 1995.... hahahahaha.

I'm doing the "block point II" install on the 27th. 24 hours of data loading, at a blazing 10bps.

I would definitely want a 17"+ screen for 4k.. unless you have really good bifocals.

https://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-17-Noteb...rds=notebook+4k

might be an option, Skylake i7 4k screen.

if you want to spend more tons of options.. what is your budget.

lenovo also has a 3k (2880x1620) screen option(t560)

or 4k option p70..
if its a business expense I'd go for an upgrade version of lenovo p70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back