When to Replace Radiator and Coolant Hoses

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
When (time, miles), and under what circumstances, have you replaced your radiator and coolant hoses? I'm especially interested if you replaced OE Toyota items. Thanks!

The underlying reason for my question is that I've embarked on a long-term project to replace and upgrade various components, such as belts, hoses, and pay attention to the radiator, air conditioning, etc. Items which, if they broke, could cause great inconvenience or ancillary damage, and to also keep the interior and appearance in good condition

Most vehicles made in the past 25 years have used EPDM materials for their belts and hoses. This material is one of the most durable rubber materials known and can likely last the life of a vehicle.

IF you replace any existing hoses on a vehicle make sure you use and EPDM replacement.

Most vehicles made in the past 25 years have used EPDM materials for their belts and hoses. This material is one of the most durable rubber materials known and can likely last the life of a vehicle.

IF you replace any existing hoses on a vehicle make sure you use and EPDM replacement.
Thank you for that information. If I decide to replace, I'd replace with OE Toyota hoses.

I finally decided to replace all the hoses on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 last summer because I was going to do a flush and the top radiator hose was getting a bit soft. I figured I got 18 years out of the originals and if I get 10 out of the replacements my heirs will have to worry about it. But in all fairness the truck only has 70K on it and was a weekend driver while I was working and now that I am retired gets driven even less.

my friends 2002 tundra, my now gone 2003 echo w/ 417K miles and my 2004 prius all have original yota hoses.

I never considered replacing any of them; they seem like new or at least very serviceable.

Under 15 years old I wouldn’t consider replacing unless they don’t look good or are leaking. Had to have my 2014 Jeep’s radiator hoses replaced in 2018 because they were leaking though. Radiator was leaking before that.

This. With the exception of Nissan. Not sure what material Nissan hoses are made from but they are junk.

When the radiator leak.

Last time I replaced radiator was on a 2000 Camry.
Actually, I originally replaced them with OE from stealership, that thing leaked again in a couple of years.
So, I went with CKO from Ebay and it was good till I sold it which was 4 years later.

I have never had to replace it in my previously owned 2004 Sienna.
I did have to replace the t-stat housing since it is plastic/ABS part but not the radiator or hoses.

I think this Toyota has quality parts.
What do you think?

It will different answer if you are asking for other brand of cars.

I did the rad on my 99 Camry a few years ago as the plastic tank was seeping. Not a real leak and I drove it while waiting for an oem rad. Reused the hoses. One of the bends might be getting soft, but will monitor. Seems to be lifetime items now.

With the sketchy quality of a lot of replacement parts these days I go more on condition than time. I trust old parts that still inspect okay more than many replacement brands brand new stuff.

Suggestions for dealing with a fresh leak while traveling, perhaps in remote areas?
Part of good risk management is to use the right tool for the job. It may not make economical sense to replace every failure prone part on a 10 year old vehicle in preparation for a rare, one-time trip. Renting a vehicle may be more realistic.

Suggestions for dealing with a fresh leak while traveling, perhaps in remote areas?
Duct tape until not so remote. Leave the rad cap one click loose so it doesn’t build pressure, and drive gently.

When they leak, or they are old and swollen and you happen to be doing something else that requires it's removal.

When you see the swollen hose in your vehicle, it actually looks good until you compare it to a new one.

swollen-lower-hose_0.jpg

Be positive!!!
If you are worried that much, carry a spare hose.
I carried spare hose for my Diesel Truck but not for my Toyota.

How remote are we talking about?
Are we talking about the show "Special Delivery" or those travel into remote areas of Laos, Cambodia or Kalimantan?
Even there, the Toyota used in the show are still running, trust me, they are older than anything we ever seen here in the US.
In the US, there are still AZ, OR, Napa even in a rather remote area.

Back