When to replace a battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
You're better off with a FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) in Texas.

Oh? Ok--good to know. Why is that?

"But even AGM batteries face challenges. "AGM batteries will perform well in the heat, but the life span will be hampered due to loss of water from the high temperatures," says Jeff Barron, research lab manager for Interstate Batteries"

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ts-your-car-battery-what-to-do-about-it/

Well, here's a quote 2 paragraphs prior:

"If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, and are looking for a maintenance-free battery, consider getting an AGM. While AGM batteries can also be affected by high heat, they tend to perform better overall than other sealed batteries in our tests."

Last edited:
I saw that too, seemed like a bit of selective quoting by PowerSurge.

Everything I've read on the Internet (where all of this information seems to come from) says that AGM batteries are better for warm and hot climates.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Run it till it dies and keep a jump box in the trunk for when it does.

Then you take the chance on being stranded. I have jump starters in my vehicles but I don't rely on them to keep me from getting stranded. Those things die all the time. I'd rather spend the money than go cheap and have my day ruined. It also puts more strain on the starter motor when it's running at a reduced voltage.

The cheap ones yes, but get a good one and no problem.

Originally Posted by painfx
Rule of thumb is to replace every 4 years. That is what I do.

As for battery testing and inspection, check for signs of corrosion. Do a battery load test with a carbon pile VAT 40 or some that can apply a load , anything over 10 Volts is consider good.

Or you can just disable the fuel or ignition, crank the vehicle and measure voltage should be above 10 volts is consider good.

Why rely on a rule of thumb when you can just get it load tested and know for sure?

Why guess when you can know for sure?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by painfx
Rule of thumb is to replace every 4 years. That is what I do.

As for battery testing and inspection, check for signs of corrosion. Do a battery load test with a carbon pile VAT 40 or some that can apply a load , anything over 10 Volts is consider good.

Or you can just disable the fuel or ignition, crank the vehicle and measure voltage should be above 10 volts is consider good.

Why rely on a rule of thumb when you can just get it load tested and know for sure?

Why guess when you can know for sure?

Exactly. Hence, I did listed the steps

My new plan is to keep a jump starter in each vehicle, the first time a battery fails I'll jump it and bring it home and throw my Ctek on it and let it charge. Next time it fails I will replace it. I also keep jumper cables in all the vehicles and have towing on them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back