When to change the oil filter ? .... next week ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having seen hydraulic systems contaminated to unacceptable ISO cleanliness ratings from an oil change from new unopened drums, ages ago I arranged for a rig with 5um filters. Hydraulics get charged with filtered oil on a fresh start...and it works. Clean from day 1, not after a month of filter changes.

Given that a used filter typically will be filtering better than a new filter...it's already caught some material, and that captured material helps filter smaller material.

And that having opened the system, you've exposed it to additional contamination, and possibly moisture (me in particular, I don't even have a shade tree to mechanic under at present).

Had me thinking as to whether it would be wisest to replace the filter at the OCI, having a new filter at it's lowest level of efficiency being exposed to potentially the dirtiest period of an OCI.

Maybe changing the filter next week was a better idea.

Change the filter next week advantages
* assuming it's not torn (but it could be new anyway), it will likely be filtering better than at any point in it's life;
* any new contaminants that are brought in, either by the oil or the open system will be taken away with the filter after having a week to get collected.
* as long as the ADBV was still functional, there should be a reduced period of no oil pressure on restart...my short OCIs on the L67 with same filter seem to have this borne out

Additional, possibly miniscule benefits, but BITOGERs are obsessed with argumentum ad absurdum

http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/

The products of used oil appear to provide friction and wear reduction benefits over new oils...recently discussed...Maybe a pint or thereabouts of used oil, (an appendix worth maybe ??) can provide enough partially reacted additives to reduce the apparent wear early in the OCI.

When you change the filter...next weekend, it probably doesn't have to be warm/hot, the contents are the same as they were when the engine was shut down...manouevering hot drippy filters around chassis/suspension/tranny cooler lines is the worst part of any OCI for me...red hot oil changes are fine if it's sump plug and pan, warm to hot is my limit for filters.

When you restart, the pump is pretty close to still primed (you were quick with the filter change, it wasn't burny).

The oil running through the new filter is now arguably the cleanest it's likely to be for that OCI...which is handy if your new filter has torn media...if your old media WAS torn, you are in better shape post last OCI anyway.

Just a thought, for thoughts and giggles...I'm nearly sold on the idea.

(and if I decide to run a solid lube in the engine, there;'s a possibility that it's only in there for 1 week in 52 if it doesn't want to stay in suspension)

That's interesting to consider. I do suspect that oil in the bottles is a fair bit cleaner than stuff from drums, but I'd have to look over Jim Allen's posts to see what he discerned.

Playing devil's advocate here...

Topping up the oil after the filter change is one more opportunity to introduce debris into the engine. If you're particularly concerned about that, then I'd think you'd want to minimize the chances of it happening.

the whole thing premises on the idea that

"a used filter typically will be filtering better than a new filter"

So what you do is market to that specific idea.

Start selling Pre-loaded used filters for a premium over new filters.

Filter material preloaded with microparticulates to ensure maximum filtering.

Don't like the Pre-used filters we sell? Then just sell microparticulate additive so you can pre-load your own filter. Dump this powder while doing your oil change to preload your filter.

Last edited:
I would think if the filtration on a filter in service improves, then something has changed and that change is flow . Filter replacement for this regimen would require DP gauges on each lube system and probably two filters so that a back-up filter would be available to put in service. I do recall such a system installed at a power generation facility, but I can't remember on what equipment it was used. If I had to guess, I would say it was on a large Philadelphia gear box used on a B&W Roll Wheel pulverizer. The gold standard for this type of equipment.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Don't like the Pre-used filters we sell? Then just sell microparticulate additive so you can pre-load your own filter. Dump this powder while doing your oil change to preload your filter.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
OOH! Where can I buy raytseng's Magic Preload Powder? I'll pay top dollar!

raytseng, I have access to about 20 million tonnes of such powder, spherical alumina/silica in a variety of sizes (mixed, which is ideal for your purpose in 2-20um sizes...it is VERY effective at improving filtration efficiency.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I would think if the filtration on a filter in service improves, then something has changed and that change is flow . Filter replacement for this regimen would require DP gauges on each lube system and probably two filters so that a back-up filter would be available to put in service. I do recall such a system installed at a power generation facility, but I can't remember on what equipment it was used. If I had to guess, I would say it was on a large Philadelphia gear box used on a B&W Roll Wheel pulverizer. The gold standard for this type of equipment.

Duplex arrangments are common.

Bear in mind, I'm not advocating the typical duplex service life of run it 'till it plugs then switch elements.

Filter is only ever on the engine for the same number of miles/hours as a regular OCI, just used differently for a week overlap.

Playing devil's advocate here...

Topping up the oil after the filter change is one more opportunity to introduce debris into the engine. If you're particularly concerned about that, then I'd think you'd want to minimize the chances of it happening.

yep, been thinking same...if you put the whole new charge in, run on the u or the l of "full" for the week.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: raytseng

OOH! Where can I buy raytseng's Magic Preload Powder? I'll pay top dollar!

raytseng, I have access to about 20 million tonnes of such powder, spherical alumina/silica in a variety of sizes (mixed, which is ideal for your purpose in 2-20um sizes...it is VERY effective at improving filtration efficiency.

I'm just the idea man. I'm more than happy to license my idea to you for the low low rate of just 10% of sales (open to negotiations). We better take this offline before the idea vultures come in..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back