When should Toyota ATF filters be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada,North America,Western Hemisphere,Earth,Milk
Is a pan drop something that needs to be done often or is it for those with high mileage transmissions that haven't seen any fluid changes? If fluids have been changed every 30 miles, is there any need to change the transmission filter over the standard life of a vehicle?

Car in question is a 4wd 03 Toyota Highlander. Do magnets help with transmissions? I noticed that this car has magnets built into the pan while the engine has no magnets. Any reason Toyota chose to build this feature into the transmission?

The magnets are there to catch Fe debris thus making life easier for both the transmission and filter.

Questions - How many magnets, how big, what shape?

Anyone got a picture?

Define 'standard life of vehicle'?

From a PM standpoint, the pan should be dropped every 100k for inspection, magnet cleaning(or replacement), filter replacement.... regardless of ATF change history.

Many AT pans have magnets. It supplements the 'weak' ATF filter most transmissions have. A magnet is NOT micron limited. But, it is magnetic material limited.
Electronic solenoids, and some sensors, also don't react too well to magnetic debris floating in the ATF.

If you're not in the mood to drop the pan, install a magnefine or permacool filter kit and service 'em at those 30k intervals. The permacool kit would also benefit from a filtermag.

I have a 2005 Kluger/Highlander awd and do a drain/refill every year. Do not intend to drop the pan at all, the filter is just a screen type and the Toyota shop manual makes no mention of the need to clean or replace. I also wonder what the life of the tranny is, I hope as long as the car as I drive sensibly and judging by some of the cars I see here in Australia this will be the case. Had a plumber do some work recently, his Holden (GM) ute had done around 300k miles, second hand engine at 200k, still on original tranny.
Roger

When you do drop the pan, you can wipe the ferrous material off the magnets and clean the screen of any debris to guarantee clean fluid and correct flow.
If once every 100k is good, then why not?

alot of yota places wont clean the screens. they just draing and fill and check the flow of the atf and thats all. very very few will actually take the screen out and clean it. i have 104k miles on my tranny and i really dont have any intentions of dropping the pan anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back