Wheels out of balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This evening, my brother and I were mounting some Blizzaks for my Expedition. He has a neat, high tech spin balancer (sorry, don't know the brand) which shows the amount of weight required on the inside and outside of the assembly, as well as the location, obviously.

For the heck of it, we threw a bare wheel (factory Ford aluminum 18" x 8.5") on the balancer, spun it, and saw that the wheel itself was out of balance by about 2 ounces; the machine was calling for 1.25 oz on the outside and 0.75 oz on the inside. The imbalance was in the area of the valve stem. The pressure sensors are located 180 degrees opposite the stem, so the imbalance would have been even greater if the sensor was mounted on the stem, as a lot are. I don't know if this is an earth-shattering revelation, but I sure found it interesting.

BTW - The final balance called for about 0.75 oz of weight inside and outside at roughly the same place as the original imbalance spot.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
I don't know if this is an earth-shattering revelation, but I sure found it interesting.

Nope, not a revelation.
smile.gif

A good tire shop will actually attempt to align the heaviest part of the rim with the lightest part of the tire in order to minimize the amount of balancing weights required.

Sometimes you have to dismount a tire and rotate it to get a better balance. say you have a rim thats got a heavy side and a tire with a heavy side and they end up next to each other. You need a lot of weight to counter balance that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: RWEST
I don't know if this is an earth-shattering revelation, but I sure found it interesting.

A good tire shop will actually attempt to align the heaviest part of the rim with the lightest part of the tire in order to minimize the amount of balancing weights required.

This is my understanding as well. I try to go to shops with Hunter GSP equipment, as I believe the machinery reduces the amount of tinkering required by the tire installer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
.......A good tire shop will actually attempt to align the heaviest part of the rim with the lightest part of the tire in order to minimize the amount of balancing weights required.

Unless the wheel is marked from the factory (which it isn't), that will take three separate balancings and math that is way beyond the average guy. No, the Hunter GSP9700 doesn't do that, it does runout matching (sort of!)

If the tire shop is really smart, they will see if the tire is marked for radial high point and align THAT with the valve stem (normally the low runout point of the wheel) and let the balance weights go where they will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back