Wheel Cylinder Body Rotted Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back in January, I blew out a wheel cylinder on the Cherokee. I don't recall my mechanic saying what happened. I just tossed a new wheel cylinder and some brake fluid on the seat when AAA towed it up there.

Since then, I have been trying to avoid driving the Cherokee until I get the new wheel cylinder on. Wasn't sure what condition the other one was in.

I expected that it blew out a seal. 13 years of brake duty would probably shorten the life of seals.

When I removed the drum, it didn't look that bad. The seals were good and the body was good.

Removed the bolts, and the line (new line ftw!) and found that the back of the wheel cylinder was EXTREMELY rusty. Chipped away at it and about made it through the body! I'm willing to bet if I put it back on, it would blow out in an instant.

Oh well .. just a rant.

Just need to do SS front soft lines and ALL brake hardware will be new within the last two 10K miles!

Yeah they aren't all protected much if at all. I consider it a miracle when the bolts come out... doubly so if the line nut turns without twisting the rusty line into a pretzel.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yeah they aren't all protected much if at all. I consider it a miracle when the bolts come out... doubly so if the line nut turns without twisting the rusty line into a pretzel.

I had new lines all around put in last year, so thankfully didn't have to worry about them. Bolts didn't break either
laugh.gif

Yeah wheel cylinders take a beating. A little trick not to break the lines comin out. Spray them with some PB first and let them soak a minute and then put a wrench on the flare nut to hold it and turn the wheel cylinder itself, not the wrench and it will save you from kinking an old line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back