Wheel cleaning

Looking for some suggestions on cleaning wheels. My Porsche throws off a ton of brake dust. Specifically any brushes to clean the barrels of the rims and where the plugs bolt to the wheels.

I clean all my alloy wheels with purple degreaser spray and plenty of water from the hose. Avoid harsh or acidic / alkalane cleaners if you can. For stubborn stains I use cheap window cleaner and again rinse clean with water. For bolt holes you can use a hamster brush....yes weird name I know.

I recently bought this stuff from Turtle Wax and was impressed. Of course I bought it on sale so the price was much better. I got two & wish I'd gotten several more. ( 2 for $12 versus $12 ea. )

71Vg56-s+xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Personally, I've found that the best tool for the job varies based on how the wheels are styled. For wheels with large openings between spokes (e.g. any derivative of the classic 5 spoke design) I've used a sponge on a stick - an old school $1 dishwashing tool - to clean the barrels. Cheap and effective (but not the kind with a scotchbrite scrubber pad!). For denser spoke designs (more like, say, Alpina style) I've used something more like a stick-sponge-on-a-stick which would include something like the wheel woolies and clones linked earlier.

For chemicals, lately I have been coating the wheels annually with GTechniq C5 wheel armor, and I clean with Meguiars D143 diluted 2:1 for daily/weekly washes and the German brake dust comes right off.

First, use the mildest product that does the job. Simple Green is, IMHO, too strong a product. Second, contact members of the Porsche Club of America to see what they use. Lastly, coat the wheels so that dust doesn’t accumulate. I use RejeX.

Agree that coating your wheels can make them significantly easier to clean going forward. I've been using Ultima Waterless Wash Plus on my wheels for years now and the insane brake dust from my Textar pads simply wipes off.

First, use the mildest product that does the job.

That should be the mantra for every detailing, or cleaning job.

But I do have purple degreaser in my cabinet…which I use to spot treat oil drips on the garage floor, since it's stronger than Simple Green.

Only time I've used a dedicated wheel cleaner in a very long time was to remove some iron contamination from overdue brakes. Usually, it's the last of the wash soap in the bucket, which works the same on the clearcoated paint on the wheels as it does the rest of the car.

Elbow grease is the most effective tool to clean wheels, but it requires some effort, especially on something like BBS cross-spokes, or other designs with lots of nooks and crannies.

I tried the Adams and it did a good job but I pretty much used the whole 16oz bottle in 1 use.. Seems like a lot to spend 12-14 bux every time I wanna' cleans my wheels..

I use name brand car wash soaps on my wheels, always keep a good coat of wax on them and I never have a problem with brake dust buildup. I have been using Meguires marine wax lately (started as that is what I had on the shelf) and find that it seems to make wheel dust easier to wash off but YMMV. As mentioned, effort as opposed to chemicals is key.

Looking for some suggestions on cleaning wheels. My Porsche throws off a ton of brake dust. Specifically any brushes to clean the barrels of the rims and where the plugs bolt to the wheels.
Also use a high temperature sealant on the wheels instead of wax. This will keep the brake dust off. I did this on my boss' range Rover sport. Can you swap to semi-metallic or ceramic brake compound to reduce brake dust?

+1 on the ceramic pads idea. That will drastically reduce brake dust to begin with. Then give the wheels a good ceramic wax and any dust that happens to accumulate will simply rinse off at wash time.

Back