Wheel bearing has pitting on races

Good morning,

I got the wheel bearings on a 1990 corolla dissambled and there is some scoring on the cones races.

Cones:
20210627_174202.jpg

Races and cones:
20210628_004736.jpg
20210628_004817.jpg
20210628_004840.jpg
20210628_004927.jpg
20210628_004941.jpg
20210628_004950.jpg
20210628_005047.jpg
20210628_005100.jpg

Do these wheel bearings need replacing?

I was also told by the mechanic to replace these seals near the wheel bearing:
20210628_005033.jpg

Cheers

Jorge

Last edited:
Yes, replace everything. Yesterday. Use the best grease you can find based on Toyota's recommendations if the replacements can be greased. If these are regular bearings (not CV joints), I prefer Red Line CV-2, but Lucas has a decent grease too. (Both are red.) Make sure the grease is rated for disc brakes, which really heat bearings.

For front-drive/CV applications, Toyota might recommend another type of grease, such as lithium. Use whatever Toyota recommends.

Last edited:
redline cv-2 is probably not available in nicaragua. Mobil xhp 222 ep 2 is available to me

cheers

jorge

I'm not a car mechanic but from my industrial maintenance background we would call that surface spalling from metal fatigue. That happens when bearings are overloaded, installed incorrectly, or they are simply worn out after running 24/7 for 10-20 years.
Incorrect bearing preload tightness would be my suspicion seeing that in a car. Definitely replace. The metal is crumbling apart.

Last edited:
Gyro Gearloose is correct. These bearings likely had poor preload from overtightening.

There is no question that these bearings are shot and need to be replaced.

There are nsk, nachi and koyo brand bearings available. Which one is better?

The oil seals available are in a brand named payen.

Cheers

Jorge

Last edited:
The koyo bearing box i scanned with the wba app at one place said it was suspicious and didnt even have a qr code , it just had a bar code.

The nsk bearing at the same place as the koyo bearing didnt even have a upc or qr code on the box, here are some pics:
20210628_151756.jpg
20210628_151811.jpg

I wonder if the koyo and nsk bearings are real.

I got the payen oil seals at least.

I am still hesitant to buy a bearingn if it could be fake, as the labor to install it is intensive, for me to install a fake bearing and have it fail and then uninstall and install another one.

Cheers

Jorge

Found some genuine japanese bearings!
What i did was search for japanese bearing brands, then i searched for distributors of the japanese brand in the country where i live. Example i searched for nsk distributors and i went there and saw the bearing in person and it wasnt genuine as there was no qr code on box as nsk app says there should be. Then I went to koyos distributors. First place had no qr code on box. Second place, bingo! :
20210629_172618.jpg

Qr code and hologram on box

20210629_172751.jpg
20210629_172737.jpg
20210629_172711.jpg

The words "koyo" and "japan" and the bearing model number are laser engraved onto bearing, if you scratch the words koyo with your fingernail you feel that thewords are not a sticker but laser etched into bearing.

When scanned with the wba app the qr code was verified as genuine with a green checkmark.

The car will probably roll a lot easier as the ball bearings thatnwere on it were no name brand ball bearings most likely chinese ones.

Cheers

Jorge

If they are genuine, Koyo, Nachi and NSK are all good quality bearings. It sounds like you have done a good job finding genuine Koyo bearings, I don’t think you can do better.

I worked at the San Jacinto geothermal project near Leon. I really enjoyed Nicaragua.

I wouldnt have wanted to put in chinese bearings if they were going to fail sooner than japanese bearings.the mechanic says he didnt torque the wheel axle nut to 137 ft lbs(factory spec) because his torque wrench only goes to 120 lb ft, so he torqued it by feeling with a ratchet wrench.

So i dont want the bearings to be tight( lower fuel economy, shorter bearing life) or too loose ( shorter bearing life) so he told me that he would torque to 137 ft lb if i got a torque wrench for him to use., so i will see if if i can borrow a torque wrench or worst case scenario buy one to get the axle torqued to spec.

I wouldnt want to drive it without the axle nut torqued to spec to get a mechanic with a torque wrench to torque it as on the way the incoorectly torqued axle could shorten the bearing life substantially.

Cheers

Jorge

Tightening the nut much at all causes the inner cones to touch, which sets the bearing clearance as determined when the bearing was made. The exact tightness of the nut is not that important.

Back