Whats wrong over at Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Every car company makes a bad one now and then...some more than others, but most relatively minor - generally speaking. But if you're buying a car based on quality and/or reliability, you really only have three choices:

1. Buy based on your own experiences and the experiences of others in your circle of family/friends/acquaintances.

2. Buy based on the statistical evidence and "expert" recommendations available from any of a number of sources out there or any combination thereof, e.g. Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, J.D. Power, TrueDelta, ConsumerGuide, Yahoo, MSN, Cars.com, TheAutoChannel, CNet, etc.

3. Buy based on a combination of one and two above.

But what you shouldn't do is base any buying decision, whether it's cars or pop-tarts, based on only one or two data points. That's just silly.

My
twocents.gif

LD ,
If you take a look at Consumer Guide ( a much better and clearly less biased source than CR
twocents.gif
) , and score points for "Best Buy" (ie #1 ranked - can be multiple ) AND for "Recommended" (a #2 ranking) a much clearer and realistic appraisal of Ford emerges . (In fact , under any number of realistic scoring systems they could be placed right up in the very top overall .)

I think they have a much stronger line up than they are ever given credit for here .
Definitely above mid pack and then some .

Besides some cost and productivity issues I think their main problems are morale and absolutely the industries weakest and least focused PR effort - including "fighting the Net ."
As you said , ' their still figuring out who they want to be ."
cheers.gif

Hey guys,

All this is great, but you still have to make inspiring vehicles that people WANT. Quality is only part of the equation.

I've never understood the love of "initial quality."
Great...a car didn't break anything in the first 12k. But once it hit 50k it goes south in a hurry.
What are the parameters of "initial quality?"

From the JD Power website:

Each year, the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS)SM surveys consumers who have purchased new model-year vehicles and have owned them for at least 90 days. The 2007 IQS measures consumer satisfaction with vehicle design and mechanical quality: design quality to gauge how the vehicle works (i.e., control operation and layout) and mechanical quality to determine how the vehicle is assembled and functions. Awards are given to the top-ranked models in 19 vehicle segments, as well as to assembly plants that produce vehicles with the fewest reported defects.

June 08, 2007

Rollin' out the new Taurus

New ads tout America's 'safest full-size car'

Scott Burgess / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. will tout its new Taurus as the "safest full-size car in America" with a new advertising campaign that debuts Monday.

The nationwide promotion, part of the automaker's big push to re-establish the once-valuable Taurus nameplate, will use online, television, radio and print ads to target young families and the millions of previous Taurus owners, said Cisco Codina, Ford's group vice president, North America marketing, sales and service.

"We have a complete marketing strategy in place with everything from billboards to direct mailing," Codina said Thursday.

The new Taurus, which is replacing the Ford Five Hundred during the middle of that car's first production cycle, will start rolling into dealerships this summer. The advertising campaign will launch in stages, first in print and on television on Monday, and then within 10 days to online and radio.

People should expect a sophisticated touch to the campaign, said Barry Engle, general manager of the car company's marketing division. "The same guy who shoots Rolex ads shot the Taurus for our print ads," he said. "They look fantastic."

The ads won't mention that this is the rebirth of Taurus. Ford ended production of the legendary nameplate in October when it shuttered the Atlanta assembly plant. In February, under the leadership of new CEO Alan Mulally, the automaker announced it was resurrecting the name, as well as renaming the Ford Freestyle crossover the Taurus X and the Mercury Montego, the Five Hundred's sister car, the Mercury Sable.

Brand has name recognition

Bringing back the Taurus name was smart, said Tom Libby, an industry analyst with the Power Information Network, an affiliate of J.D. Power and Associates.

"I applaud the move," he said. "To kill the Taurus name was to strand 20 years of customers. It's difficult, and they would spend quite a bit of money, to establish a new name."

Codina said Ford recognizes the value of the Taurus name and agrees it was foolish to let it go. In recent studies, about 40 percent of the car consumers surveyed recognized the Five Hundred as a Ford vehicle while nearly 80 percent knew a Taurus was made by the Blue Oval.

"It's the third most recognized nameplate at Ford," Codina said. "Taurus has huge equity. But we realize that there is some baggage with the name that we have to clean up." Over the past few years, Ford relegated the old Taurus to rental car fleets, lowering its resale value and hurting the car's image, he said.

Ford has no intention of flooding the rental market with the new sedan, he added.

It's not just a name change

The new Taurus is not merely a Five Hundred by another name. It will have a new front end and a new powertrain: a 263-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 with a six-speed automatic transmission. Ford said it has made more than 500 changes to the vehicle, addressing many of the perceived shortcomings of the Five Hundred.

Recent endorsements from J.D. Power and Associates and Consumer Reports, as well as top safety ratings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Association and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, have given Ford and the Taurus campaign a lot more swagger.

"I think there is a new air of confidence, and we're standing tall with this vehicle," Engle said. "When the Five Hundred came out, we had the tagline 'Elevating the sedan,' and now we have 'Safest full-size car in America.' You tell me which is stronger?"

The new Taurus needs a strong showing to be competitive in the same market where the Five Hundred floundered. Through May, Five Hundred sales are down nearly 30 percent compared to last year.

"To be a player, you have to be in this segment," Libby said. "What we've seen, to get a domestic model on the shopping list, it's not enough to be competitive, but offer over and above."

But the Taurus name could get some people to take a look, Libby added.

Which is what Ford intends.

"All we want is people to judge us on our own merits," Engle said. "I know this car will do better."

You can reach Scott Burgess at (313) 223-3217 or [email protected].

Quote:

Quote:

Making "bold moves" is expensive. If they are in as much trouble as you say they are, how are they supposed to financially accomplish that? Sounds like you have an axe to grind.

and FYI, the Ford Escape still gets great reviews. So they have the Escape, Edge, Fusion, and F150. All are doing very well. That isnt bad for a company staring doomsday down the barrel.

Yes, making bold moves is expensive. My guess would be that is why they are starting to unload some of their other makes. The Escape Edge and Fusion are not enough to save them. The F150 sales are way down due to gas prices. What they need is the European Focus and a new Ranger to help sales.

I would love to see the Australian Falcon over here.

One thing that hurts is Ford's support of alternate life styles. Ford continues to sponsor activities and advertise in homosexual magazines. Other makers have chosen a neutral stance.
American Family Association and others have circulated boycott petitions. Who knows how effective the boycotts are but I know of 2 who have passed on Ford for this reason.

I think a lot of people are willing to blow off AFA's rediculousness and just buy a Ford. I do not think it is hurting them that much. And who can blame them for advertising in gay magazines? Statistically, gays have one of the highest per capita incomes (if not the highest).

Yep, gay people are whats wrong with Ford. Mystery solved.
crazy.gif

Back on topic, I really think my next vehicle could be a lincoln. The newest town cars are gorgeous IMO. Lincoln has shown some life recently.

This Ford exec is more interested in his ads than in the product, which is typical for any industry based on the 'look' or 'emotion' of the moment, which is what carmakers' marketing depts are all about. It would be interesting to hear about a car company run by technical people rather than advertising people.

quote from article:
People should expect a sophisticated touch to the campaign, said Barry Engle, general manager of the car company's marketing division. "The same guy who shoots Rolex ads shot the Taurus for our print ads," he said. "They look fantastic."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back