What's with Lexus GS taillights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how old, but I see a lot of these on the road. When the driver hits the brakes, it looks like two sets of lights flash. There's a pair of lights inside that flash, but typically they seem almost white like they're backup lights. However, when I look at them closely, it looks like the lens material used to be red but has faded over time, with maybe a thin fringe of red at the edge of the lens.

What's the deal with these?

He's right. They're red original factory lenses that have faded clear over time. It's a potential pullover down the road unless the lenses get re-tinted red IMO.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Are you sure they're factory and not some aftermarket nonsense?

Definitely OEM. The ones I've seen are currently in various shades of pink, up to the most faded which are white. I looked up message board banter about this, and some have resorted to using red translucent tail light repair tape, while others are wondering where they can find red bulbs.

Here's one that's noticeably fading next to a new replacement part. However, many of the ones I've seen are pretty much white now except for the edge.

220784d1314504496-pink-faded-tail-lights-painting-light3.jpg

I'm not even sure what's the point of these since there are already two brake lights.

259433d1348884002-02-gs300-sport-design-smoking-the-taillights-img_20120928_205406.jpg

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I'm not even sure what's the point of these since there are already two brake lights.

Rear fog lamps.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Rear fog lamps.

I don't think so. Rear fogs are supposed to be just one side to avoid confusion with riding the rear brakes

Then again, the later Auroras had two rear fogs
smirk.gif

Rear fogs can be one or 2 lights in most places. The GS center lights are supposed to be rear-fogs, but were changed to extra brake lights on the US spec cars.

I've always wondered if it's a case of the lenses fading, or if they were originally more pinkish and supposed to use red bulbs.

Red LEDs will fix that right up, BUT , they fool the light out indicator unless a ballast resistor is employed. See "Superbright Led dot com"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back