What's that crap in my Oil ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by PimTac
To trace back to who made it, find the dexos license number on the jug and use it in a search.

That might be the best approach. I was thinking of using the API Db for brand name but it's possible RK has more than one supplier..but maybe it's worth a quick peek. Who knows, might get lucky and find out it's just one blender for the RK house brand.

Or, they probably have a toll free number to call for questions or concerns on the labeling somewhere.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Or, they probably have a toll free number to call for questions or concerns on the labeling somewhere.

That too..or, you might be able to find out who mfgs it if the label has a poison control # and product ID. Just make up some BS story about how your kid just drank some and you noticed loose plastic in the bottle and need to get in touch with the mfg. ...

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I'm viewing this on my phone, but it looks kind of like strips of clear packing tape.
Of course, that doesn't explain how they got in there.

Statically, this could happen to any brand of oil. When they bottle thousands or even millions of gallons per year, the odds of having a container contaminated with something is almost guaranteed.
One bad container doesn't mean you should avoid all others.

I had ordered a 12 case of quarts of Motorcraft Mercon LV from Rock Auto and much to my surprise there was a drinking straw that came out of one of the sealed quart bottles. Luckily the curved transmission funnel caught the straw. I now pour my oil and transmission fluid first into a clean measured paint bucket I get from Home Depot. This way i can see what the fluid looks like and if there is any "foreign" items in it.

Whimsey

Put a paint strainer in your funnel. Cheap, easy, and very fine filter. The automotive grade paint strainers, can be had at any parts house.

Originally Posted by fins
Duffyjr said:
My question would be are you sure you got it all and if not what harm would it cause, possibly get caught in one of the oil passages and plug it, that certainly wouldn't be a good thing. Talk about losing sleep!

What chances would it have of passing thru to the oil pan and draining out.

That's what I am thinking.

The large pieces pretty much blocked my funnel.
I am worried some smaller pieces may have passed through the funnel,
I did drain the oil out after I saw the cellophane pieces.

I emailed Rural King and Warren the same pictures that are in this post and asked them it they are going to pay the repair bill for my engine if a piece is still in the motor and blocks the oil pump or a bearing and the engine blows.

So far no reply...…….

I highly doubt you will get a response this week with a lot of companies and people not working this week.

How do we know that is a WPP product and not citgo? Did you check the dexos license number ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
My question would be are you sure you got it all and if not what harm would it cause, possibly get caught in one of the oil passages and plug it, that certainly wouldn't be a good thing. Talk about losing sleep!

I emailed Rural King and Warren the same pictures that are in this post and asked them it they are going to pay the repair bill for my engine if a piece is still in the motor and blocks the oil pump or a bearing and the engine blows.

So far no reply...…….

This is a Citgo bottle not Warren Oil. There are still some Citgo product on the shelves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by volk06
Duffyjr said:

So far no reply...…….

I highly doubt you will get a response this week with a lot of companies and people not working this week.

How do we know that is a WPP product and not citgo? Did you check the dexos license number ?

It's never been WPP. Warren Oil then Citgo then Warren Oil again. Bottle is Citgo.

Not much you can do about it now except drive the [censored] thing and hope whatever, if anything, burns off.
I might consider running a strong solvent based flush like a Berryman's before a D&F in hopes that the solvents go to work on *any* plastic/cellophane that made it's way into the engine. Very good chance none did but you can't say for sure...so I think I'd err on the side of caution. Then keep a close eye on the oil pressure this next oci.

Sure there is, I know I'd be pulling the valve cover. Being if any of it did go in it's going to be up top still most likely if you have not ran the engine yet. Even if you did it's very likely still up top laying somewhere.

I'll guess it's a molding defect, and is the same material as the transparent window strip near the graduations, assuming that bottle has one like most oil bottles do nowadays. Blow-molding of two materials simultaneously might be tricky.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by volk06
Duffyjr said:

So far no reply...…….

It's never been WPP. Warren Oil then Citgo then Warren Oil again. Bottle is Citgo.

Ah the other Warren.

Originally Posted by R1jake

Not much you can do about it now except drive the [censored] thing and hope whatever, if anything, burns off.
I might consider running a strong solvent based flush like a Berryman's before a D&F in hopes that the solvents go to work on *any* plastic/cellophane that made it's way into the engine. Very good chance none did but you can't say for sure...so I think I'd err on the side of caution. Then keep a close eye on the oil pressure this next oci.

Sure there is, I know I'd be pulling the valve cover. Being if any of it did go in it's going to be up top still most likely if you have not ran the engine yet. Even if you did it's very likely still up top laying somewhere.

I'm not pulling a valve cover on a "if" but that's just me. My guess is some toluene or xylene will eat that crap right up... and you'll get rid of some varnish while you're at it.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Rural Kuality-Lacking Oil.

We get what we pay for folks. Cost-cutting (to lower the price) sometimes means cutting-out the guy at the factory that's supposed to be catching production mistakes

This is my way of thinking also. I only buy name brand oil.

Originally Posted by R1jake

Be pretty easy to stick a borescope down there first, wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back