What's that crap in my Oil ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the bottler is ultimately responsible for that being in there, my guess is that it is the company that made the packaging that is at fault. There would be filters in the filling equipment that would catch something that big. That debris is likely something that made its way in there after the bottle was molded and before it went on the filling line. There's probably less QC in that step of the process.

Originally Posted by atikovi
At $2 a quart, something ain't right. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1/Re:_Who_makes_the_Rural_King_%E2%80%9C

What exactly isn't right, other than the plastic-looking stuff? It's dexos 1 G2 certified, many board members have used it (myself included) with zero issues, and it's nearly $2.80/quart. Considering this is what Pennzoil and Mobil 1 go for when the rebates are on, are you implying those oils "ain't right" either, all based on price?

OP, I agree it's definitely not the foil seal, and that it most likely would have been in the jug prior to filling. I'd say send a chunk of it to RK/HK/Warren if they are interested, but keep a chunk to send off to a different lab if they pooh-pooh it. I'd imagine you may get a free jug, maybe not. I've not seen anything like this in any of the 8-9 jugs of HK I've used, both the Citgo and Warren flavors. I'd call it an anomaly.

I always watch my oil streams as I'm pouring, and one time I did get a small chunk of foil seal from a bottle of Lubegard Bio/Tech that I opened haphazardly into the crankcase... I just said "ah F it" and that was over 25k ago. Still hard to tell it's running unless the windows are down.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
While the bottler is ultimately responsible for that being in there, my guess is that it is the company that made the packaging that is at fault. There would be filters in the filling equipment that would catch something that big. That debris is likely something that made its way in there after the bottle was molded and before it went on the filling line. There's probably less QC in that step of the process.

I believe both Warren's mfg their own bottles.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Looks like a Powerbait to me.

Huh?..Doesn't look like PB I've ever used.

Last edited:
After seeing this I'm getting a strainer filter of somekind…...
Funny after seeing this my first thought was similar, unlikely I'll do that. I'm thinking this a severe outlier in new oil, especially so with foil seal intact.

And now the sleuthing is on for who manufactured the oil. It doesn't look like a Warren Dist/WPP jug to me.

Originally Posted by R1jake
After seeing this I'm getting a strainer filter of somekind. Could you imagine pouring your oil in and seeing this or anything going down the funnel.

That's actually a good idea. I make sure the oil jugs were sealed, and the funnel is clean. After that I have faith the oil is good and free of junk. This thread has me thinking, it's time for another step. I would have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach had I poured that oil into my engine.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by R1jake
After seeing this I'm getting a strainer filter of somekind. Could you imagine pouring your oil in and seeing this or anything going down the funnel.

That's actually a good idea. I make sure the oil jugs were sealed, and the funnel is clean. After that I have faith the oil is good and free of junk. This thread has me thinking, it's time for another step. I would have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach had I poured that oil into my engine.

Good points guys ^^^^^

I may well go to Agri Supply and get the steel funnel with a strainer in it...

My question would be are you sure you got it all and if not what harm would it cause, possibly get caught in one of the oil passages and plug it, that certainly wouldn't be a good thing. Talk about losing sleep!

What chances would it have of passing thru to the oil pan and draining out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
My question would be are you sure you got it all and if not what harm would it cause, possibly get caught in one of the oil passages and plug it, that certainly wouldn't be a good thing. Talk about losing sleep!

Not much you can do about it now except drive the [censored] thing and hope whatever, if anything, burns off.
I might consider running a strong solvent based flush like a Berryman's before a D&F in hopes that the solvents go to work on *any* plastic/cellophane that made it's way into the engine. Very good chance none did but you can't say for sure...so I think I'd err on the side of caution. Then keep a close eye on the oil pressure this next oci.

I'm inclined to believe while worrisome, and sickening, odds are nothing bad is going to happen.

This thread also made me think of the Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 jug opened for use a few days ago, no foil seal. Haven't used a SOPUS product recently, but as I recall they don't use one. But the cap tight and lower cap detection ring unbroken. There was member that used to rail against oil jugs with no foil seal. Guess this thread shows, even foil seal no absolute against some issue. Though as noted, I'm thinking this a severe outlier.

Rural Kuality-Lacking Oil.

We get what we pay for folks. Cost-cutting (to lower the price) sometimes means cutting-out the guy at the factory that's supposed to be catching production mistakes

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by maintenanceMan
I might think twice before using that brand again.

No longer exists. Goodbye Citgo, hello Warren Oil.

When did Warren take over?
I bought the jugs of oil 5-6months ago.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

That's what I am thinking.

The large pieces pretty much blocked my funnel.
I am worried some smaller pieces may have passed through the funnel,
I did drain the oil out after I saw the cellophane pieces.

I emailed Rural King and Warren the same pictures that are in this post and asked them it they are going to pay the repair bill for my engine if a piece is still in the motor and blocks the oil pump or a bearing and the engine blows.

So far no reply...…….

I'd go back to where you bought the oil. Even if the manager won't personally take care of the situation, it will be passed on to HQ. You will likely get better results with it coming from a manager than sending the pictures yourself.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I'd go back to where you bought the oil. Even if the manager won't personally take care of the situation, it will be passed on to HQ. You will likely get better results with it coming from a manager than sending the pictures yourself.

Expecting a retail store mgr to do anything more than give you your money back and a slip of paper with the Corp tel# on it, is wishful thinking. They simply have much bigger fish to fry..

Find out exactly who mfgs the oil for RK and take it up with them and be prepared to be persistent but realistic about what they're going to do for you (if anything). Anything more than a few coupons for free oil is also wishful thinking. While disconcerting to see, it's not something the lube mfg is gonna pay to tear your engine down for. Truth is, you have no "damages" to speak of at this moment aside from the oil you dumped... amirite?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
To trace back to who made it, find the dexos license number on the jug and use it in a search.

That might be the best approach. I was thinking of using the API Db for brand name but it's possible RK has more than one supplier..but maybe it's worth a quick peek. Who knows, might get lucky and find out it's just one blender for the RK house brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back