What's a Good Method to Sharpen a Serrated Knife?

I've never had any luck trying to sharpen serrated knives. We have a few left out of one of those sets that comes with 20+ knives so maybe they are just super cheap. On a side not, I don't let my wife play with sharp knives.
And why is that? I insist that sweetie's knives are sharp and well maintained. She gets after me if they're a little bit dull. Sharp knives are safer and they just work better ...

i typically have to use a small tapered file but i only bother on some pocketknives. That looks like a cheaper knife and i wouldn't do it unless i wanted to waste time since it would take longer than its probably worth to just buy a new one and the files aint cheap. Go to Walmart and buy a new one and make that the new garage beater. I've seen and used a lot of decent sub $1 knives at Walmart and the file sharpener is around 10 bucks or more.

Just look up tapered rod knife sharpener, tapered diamond rod knife sharpener, or serrations sharpener. I use a little smith one idk the name and the lansky blademedic and both are alright and costed about the same. i like the blade medic more.

Shop around on amazon. Just avoid the sharpening steels or honing rods, honing steel those don't do serrations. Look for those fine tapered sharpening files or ceramics.
You sound like you've some experience. The knife in my pic was an upper-lower priced model, or maybe a lower-middle priced blade. What do you think of this video? He mentions ceramics and diamond sharpeners.

And why is that? I insist that sweetie's knives are sharp and well maintained. She gets after me if they're a little bit dull. Sharp knives are safer and they just work better ...
Plain and simple, she is not good with knives. Since I do 99% of the cooking she really doesn't need to.

Takes a pro to do it. We've got this local farmers market where a guy sets up a booth, although he doesn't come in every week.

I've got a couple of Forschner/Victorinox bread knives that are made in Switzerland. Had them for 25 years and haven't needed to sharpen them yet. However, mostly they're used on bread, although sometimes it's handy for other things. But for bread it can still be somewhat dull and still work.

You sound like you've some experience. The knife in my pic was an upper-lower priced model, or maybe a lower-middle priced blade. What do you think of this video? He mentions ceramics and diamond sharpeners.

The video does a good job explaining it.

I prefer ceramic rods like the one the blademedic has and i use it more for just keeping it maintained. I basically just keep the rod flat then i get close and hover the knife serration onto the edge and by being up close i see the exact angle and get myself comfortable then pull the rod through the serration. You don't wanna push the rod into the serration. Serrations are finicky. I always do the large serrations first then the smaller ones. The diamond rod is usually more coarse. The ceramic is finer and i usually touch it after some uses when i have time. Almost never using the diamond file. I lost the smiths one somewhere but i liked the blade medic more anyway.

As for a regular small knife sharpener i use the lansky turnbox since its comfortable for small knives. For larger knives i use the spyderco sharpmaker which also advertises being able to sharpen serrations but its finicky unless you take the whole rod out but its unwieldy then.

I got both long ago and the sharpmaker used to be sold in the walmart sporting goods knife section and i remember paying $53. Now it's a lot more and unavailable in store. The lansky was i think 11 bucks. The little pocket sharpeners were both under $10. All have gone up a lot.

I have a $40 knife sharpener, works great but on serrated knives, it removes the serrations. You can use a belt sander.

Tupperware has a great one.

img]https://images.knife-sharpener.org/l-m/universal-serrated-and-utility-knife-sharpener-by.jpg[/img]

Back