Whats a good budget ball joint press?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been able to get by without one but it looks like I'll be helping with some balljoints on an e150 soon and i they way the joints are the spindle i think i'm going to need one.

I'd rather buy one then rent because I could use one, as it can be used for u-joints etc.

I've been looking on Amazon etc, and there are ton of different products out there.

Just wondering what brands you guys have or would recommend.

I would like to keep the purchase in the 80 dollar range or lower.

Autozone loaner has served me well. Did 2 ball joints on my F-150 and 2 on an Explorer. Replaced the slip yoke (ujoint removal) on my f-150 too. Free! If you buy one it will sit for years unused.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Look at the one from OTC it may cost a little bit more but the quality is worth it.

sounds like a good idea.

from the couple i'm looking at its only 20 to 30 more and only 10 more then the harbor freight kit.

The sets from most do not come with many adapter which are needed but you don't need to buy the expensive OTC one, an inexpensive set will more than do the job. When you buy these press tools you are paying for the frame and screw, those are the parts that take the load.
I bought mine some years ago from OTC and the frame and screw were still USA made, the adapter were Taiwan or China and probably no better than these.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Remover-In...49K46RXRHB46P7B

Generally speaking, by the time, I go buy or rent a press, I can bang the the thing apart with a hammer and some sorta lever rigged to provide tension. OTOH, If I had been smart, I woulda bought one the first time I ever needed one.
grin2.gif

I purchased one from Harbor Freight to do the ball joints in my 2000 Ford SD 7.3 4x4, I have used it on 4 trucks now with no complaints, the SD ball joints are NOT the easiest to remove/install. Side note, try to use XRF ball joints, the best I have found for my application(diesel 4x4) and come with million mile warranty(they did when I installed the 4 sets).

The reason I mentioned the XRF's is that I have used Spicer(non-greasable like stock bj's) and Moog's(greasable), but surprisingly they both needed replaced after just 20-25K miles, the XRF ball joints have been installed for over 75K miles and still no issues(truck has 318K). The XRF's are very popular with Ford/Dodge diesel owners.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Probably not helpful but I use a pickle fork. It rips up the boots but you're replacing the balljoints anyways.

If you are replacing them, sure. Sometimes you need to separate the joint for other reasons such as driveshaft removal or other maintenance and you don't want to damage the boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back